Solids of Revolution, the negatives don't matter right?

In summary, both people were trying to solve for the volume of a solid that was rotated about the y-axis by using the method of cylindrical shells, but both of them were wrong. One incorrectly thought that the function was x2, while the other thought it was x4. Neither of them graphed the region correctly, and when they tried to integrate their results, they both got incorrect results. Luckily, the person who figured out the mistake was able to correct it.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Use the method of cylindrical shells to nd the volume of the solid obtained by rotating
the region bounded by the curves y = x4, y = 1, x = 0 about the y-axis. Sketch the region and a typical shell

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just going to set it up, but I am not going to evaluate it

[tex]V = 2\pi \int_{0}^{1} x (x^4) dx[/tex]

My friend thinks it should be

[tex]V = 2\pi \int_{-1}^{1} x (x^4) dx[/tex]

Mine yields [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex] and my friend yields [tex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex]

My argument is that we are only rotating the first quadrant. If we take the negative quadrant, it's meaningless. I am not even sure what we get if we take the negative quadrant, does it make it thicker?

EDIT: It is y = x4, not x2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

Use the method of cylindrical shells to nd the volume of the solid obtained by rotating
the region bounded by the curves y = x2, y = 1, x = 0 about the y-axis. Sketch the region and a typical shell

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just going to set it up, but I am not going to evaluate it

[tex]V = 2\pi \int_{0}^{1} x (x^4) dx[/tex]

My friend thinks it should be

[tex]V = 2\pi \int_{-1}^{1} x (x^4) dx[/tex]

Mine yields [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex] and my friend yields [tex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex]

My argument is that we are only rotating the first quadrant. If we take the negative quadrant, it's meaningless. I am not even sure what we get if we take the negative quadrant, does it make it thicker?
Both setups are wrong. Using shells, your limits of integration are correct, but neither of you has the right integrand. A typical volume element is [itex]\Delta V = 2 \pi x (1 - x^2) \Delta x[/itex]

[itex]\Delta x[/itex] ranges from 0 to 1.

Did either of your graph the region?

Neither is correct.

The side of each cylinder goes from y = x2 to y = 1, therefore the height of each is: 1-x2. The circumference of each is 2πx, so the volume element is:

dV = 2πx(1-x2)dx .

But you're right in the the limits of integration are from x=0 to x=1.

Okay guys, I made a mistake, the function is x2 and not x4

Okay you know what I just figured out what went wrong. Lol thanks guys

Related to Solids of Revolution, the negatives don't matter right?

1. What are Solids of Revolution?

Solids of Revolution are three-dimensional figures created by rotating a 2D shape around a specific axis. The resulting solid has a circular cross-section and is symmetrical about the axis of rotation.

2. How are Solids of Revolution different from other 3D shapes?

Solids of Revolution are unique because they are created by rotating a 2D shape, while most other 3D shapes are formed by combining multiple 2D shapes.

3. Can any 2D shape be used to create a Solid of Revolution?

Yes, any 2D shape can be used to create a Solid of Revolution as long as it is rotated around an axis. Common examples include circles, rectangles, and triangles.

4. What are the applications of Solids of Revolution?

Solids of Revolution have many practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics. They are used to model objects such as bottles, pipes, and gears.

5. Do the negatives of Solids of Revolution matter?

No, the negatives (or negative values) do not matter when creating Solids of Revolution. The resulting solid will still have the same volume and shape, regardless of any negative numbers used in the calculations.