Solid state physics energy, translation

In summary: This concept can be applied to understand the different energies represented in the first Brillouin zone and outside of it. In summary, the image provided represents the reciprocal space of a square lattice crystal. The energy changes between the blue and red paths are due to a shift in the wave vector, which affects the momentum and subsequently the energy of the electron. This shift is represented by the term E(k - G), where G is a reciprocal lattice vector. The red path has a larger wave vector and thus a greater energy than the blue path. This concept can be applied to understand the different energies in and outside of the first Brillouin zone.
usn7564
Hey,

I'm having some trouble understanding why the energy changes here between the blue and red paths (see attached image), it's representing state of an electron in a square lattice crystal. Like mathematically I can see it because obviously plug and chugging the different values k in E(k) give different energies but the physics I'm completely lost on. My thinking was that the energy curves would be equal as everything should be.. periodic, I mean we're just in another '1st' Brillouin zone with the other point as a reference.

Obviously it's not the case though unless maths started lying. What am I actually looking at with E(k - G), like what does the translation actually mean physically? We have all the possible states represented in the first Brillouin zone with the allowed k's there, so what am I looking at with k vectors outside the first Brillouin zone?

Thanks in advance, having a hard time wrapping my head around reciprocal space. Not using the template as the question was "find the energies" which I have, I just can't interpret them.

Attachments

• ener.png
    ener.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
The image you’ve provided is a representation of the reciprocal space of a square lattice crystal. In order to understand why the energy changes between the blue and red paths, it is important to understand what the translations from one point to another represent in terms of energy. The E(k - G) term represents a shift of the wave vector k by a reciprocal lattice vector G. This shift in wave vector changes the momentum of the electron, which in turn affects its energy. In a reciprocal lattice, the size of the reciprocal lattice vector G and the magnitude of the wave vector k determine the energy of the electron. As such, the red path would have a greater energy than the blue because the red path has a larger wave vector than the blue path.In short, the energy of an electron in a reciprocal lattice is determined by the size of the reciprocal lattice vector G and the magnitude of the wave vector k. When these values are shifted, the energy of the electron changes accordingly.

Related to Solid state physics energy, translation

1. What is solid state physics energy?

Solid state physics energy refers to the energy associated with the movement of electrons in a solid material. It is a branch of physics that studies the properties of solids, such as their electrical, magnetic, and thermal behaviors, through the lens of quantum mechanics.

2. How does solid state physics energy differ from other forms of energy?

Solid state physics energy is different from other forms of energy, such as mechanical or thermal energy, as it is primarily concerned with the behavior of electrons in solids. It is also governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, which are different from classical mechanics that govern other forms of energy.

3. What is the role of translation in solid state physics energy?

Translation in solid state physics energy refers to the movement of particles, such as electrons, in a solid material. This movement is essential for the transfer of energy and the formation of different energy states within the material. Understanding the translation of particles is crucial for studying the properties of solids.

4. How does solid state physics energy impact technology?

Solid state physics energy has a significant impact on technology, as it provides the foundation for many electronic devices, such as transistors and computer chips. Understanding the behavior of electrons in solid materials has allowed for the development of new technologies and advancements in fields such as renewable energy and telecommunications.

5. What are some real-world applications of solid state physics energy?

Some real-world applications of solid state physics energy include the development of semiconducting materials used in electronic devices, the creation of solar cells for renewable energy, and the fabrication of magnetic materials for data storage. Solid state physics energy also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials for various industries, such as aerospace and healthcare.