Regarding Kittel's solid state physics 167 page

So, if you choose ##a=2##, for example, it will also work.In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "normalized over unit length of line" in the context of wave functions at the Brillouin zone boundary and the reasoning behind it. It is determined that the equation is satisfied for multiple values of a, not just a=1.
benz994

Homework Statement

In Kittel's 'Introduction to solid state physics' (8th ed.), on page 167, it says "The wave functions at the Brillouin zone boundary ##k=\pi/a## are ##\sqrt{2} cos (\pi x/a)## and ##\sqrt{2} sin(\pi x/a)##, normalized over unit length of line."
Here I cannot understand what is the meaning of "normalized over unit length of line".
Does that mean that, when I integrate the square of the wave function from 0 to 1, the result should be 1? But
$$ \int_0^1 2cos^2 \frac{\pi x}{a} dx = \int_0^1 (1+cos \frac{2\pi x}{a})dx $$
$$ = 1+\frac{a}{2\pi} sin\frac{2\pi}{a} \neq 1. $$
Please help me find out what is wrong in my reasoning.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is ##a## given, or is it something you can specify at will? In the latter case, can you find ##a## that would satisfy the requirement?

Thank you for the responce.
I think ##a## is a given quantity. ##a## is the size of the unit cell in one-dimensional lattice.
The above equation is satisfied only when ##a=1##.

benz994 said:
The above equation is satisfied only when ##a=1##.

No, not only. The sine is a periodic function.

I would like to clarify the concept of normalization in quantum mechanics and its relevance to the wave functions mentioned in Kittel's solid state physics book.

Normalization is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that ensures the probability of finding a particle in a given state is equal to 1. In other words, the wave function must be normalized in order to accurately describe the probability distribution of a particle in a particular state.

In the context of Kittel's book, the wave functions mentioned at the Brillouin zone boundary are normalized over a unit length of line. This means that when the wave function is integrated over a unit length of the line, the result should be equal to 1. Therefore, your understanding that the integral of the square of the wave function from 0 to 1 should be equal to 1 is correct.

However, your calculation is incorrect. The correct integral should be:
$$ \int_0^1 2cos^2 \frac{\pi x}{a} dx = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{a}{4\pi} sin \frac{2\pi}{a} = 1$$

The mistake in your calculation is that you have integrated the term ##cos \frac{2\pi x}{a}## incorrectly. It should be integrated as follows:
$$ \int_0^1 cos \frac{2\pi x}{a} dx = \frac{a}{2\pi} sin\frac{2\pi}{a} $$

Once you correct your calculation, you will see that the integral is indeed equal to 1, as expected. This confirms that the wave functions mentioned in Kittel's book are normalized over a unit length of line.

I hope this clarification helps to address your confusion. It is important to have a solid understanding of normalization in quantum mechanics, as it is a crucial concept in accurately describing the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

Related to Regarding Kittel's solid state physics 167 page

1. What is Kittel's solid state physics 167 page?

Kittel's solid state physics 167 page is a renowned textbook in the field of solid state physics. It was written by renowned physicist Charles Kittel and is commonly used as a reference for undergraduate and graduate courses in solid state physics.

2. What topics are covered in Kittel's solid state physics 167 page?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics in solid state physics, including crystal structures, lattice vibrations, electronic properties of metals, semiconductors, and insulators, magnetism, and superconductivity.

3. Is Kittel's solid state physics 167 page suitable for beginners in the field?

While the textbook is quite comprehensive, it may be challenging for beginners in the field as it assumes a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. However, with some background knowledge, it can be a valuable resource for learning about solid state physics.

4. Are there any notable updates or revisions to Kittel's solid state physics 167 page?

Yes, Kittel's solid state physics has gone through several revisions and updates since its initial publication in 1976. The latest edition, the 8th edition, was released in 2004 and includes new chapters on transport properties and electronic devices.

5. Can Kittel's solid state physics 167 page be used as a reference for research purposes?

Yes, Kittel's solid state physics is often used as a reference for research in the field of solid state physics. It provides a comprehensive overview of the subject and includes many mathematical derivations and examples, making it a valuable resource for researchers and professionals.