Solid Of Revolution Problem - Washer

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid created by rotating the area between the function y=x^2+1 and the x-axis (for 0<x<2) about the line y=-2. The appropriate equation to use is Vs = ∏*r^2*h, and the integral is set up as ∫ π((x^2+1) + 2)^2 - 22) dx, where the outer radius is 2 and the inner radius is x^2+1.
Bellwether

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a solid created when the area between the function y=x^2+1 and the x-axis (for 0<x<2) is rotated about the line y=-2.

Homework Equations

Vs = ∏*r^2*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to set this up correctly and am thrown by the inner radius being the x-axis. I originally set up the integral as : Int {0,2} ∏((x^2+1) + 3)^2 dx

I think this creates a full solid around y=-2 -- would I just want to add 1 to the radius instead of 3?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Bellwether! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Bellwether said:
I can't seem to set this up correctly and am thrown by the inner radius being the x-axis. I originally set up the integral as : Int {0,2} ∏((x^2+1) + 3)^2 dx

That's for the outer radius …

you now need to subtract the volume for the inner radius. :wink:

For problems like this, I used to prefer adding 2 to the function to shift the whole thing up 2 units of y. Then you can simply revolve the function around the line y = 0, and the volume result will be the same.

Thanks for the welcome!

So it's, ∫∏((x2+1)+3)2 - 22) ?

Hi Bellwether! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
Bellwether said:
Thanks for the welcome!

So it's, ∫∏((x2+1)+3)2 - 22) ?

∫ π((x2+1) + 2)2 - 22) dx :wink:

I'm confused -- why is the outer radius just +2 , instead of 3? Isn't (x2 + 1) three units away from the axis of revolution?

no, you've counted the "1" twice …

(x2 + 1) - (-2 ) = x2 + 3 :wink:

Of course, thank you.

Related to Solid Of Revolution Problem - Washer

What is a solid of revolution problem?

A solid of revolution problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This type of problem is commonly encountered in calculus and is used to model real-world objects and phenomena.

What is the washer method for solving solid of revolution problems?

The washer method is a technique used to solve solid of revolution problems. It involves breaking up the solid into thin, cylindrical slices and calculating the volume of each slice using the formula for the volume of a cylinder. The volumes of all the slices are then added together to find the total volume of the solid.

What is the difference between the outer and inner radius in a washer method problem?

The outer radius is the distance from the axis of rotation to the outer edge of the solid, while the inner radius is the distance from the axis of rotation to the inner edge of the solid. In the washer method, the outer and inner radius are used to calculate the volume of each cylindrical slice that makes up the solid.

What are some common shapes used in solid of revolution problems?

Some common shapes used in solid of revolution problems include circles, rectangles, and triangles. These shapes can be rotated around a given axis to create a variety of solids, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

What are some real-world applications of solid of revolution problems?

Solid of revolution problems have many real-world applications, such as finding the volume of a soda can, calculating the capacity of a water tank, and determining the amount of material needed to create a curved surface in architecture or engineering. They are also used in physics to model the rotation of objects and in medicine to calculate the volume of organs and tumors.