Soil & Combustion - Unusual Work Situation

In summary, someone left a cigarette in an old, unused planter and it apparently caught on fire. The water poured on it did not make it any worse.
TheStatutoryApe
I had an interesting situation at work. One of the Faculty has a very large plastic planter filled with store bought soil. It has appearantly been sitting outdoors unused for quite some time and has become incredibly dried out with some dry dead plant material still mixed in.
Yesterday there was smoke wafting up from the soil. Something was definitely burning in there but there were no flames and there wasn't any material directly on top that appeared to be burning. I poured a bottle of water I had near by on it, approximately a liter, and then thought that it may not have been the best idea. The water seemed to boil as it went into the soil and there was a loud hissing noise. After wetting the soil smoke was still coming up from under it.
I was wondering if it is possible for soil to spontaneously combust if dried out and left to sit in the sun. I understand that there are a number of additives in store bought soil but have no idea what they are or how they would react.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it was high enough in organic material that was decomposing, I guess that would do it. Have you ever noticed how hot peat feels?

Yep, that's one of the natural ways forest fires can begin too. The combination of the sun and heat from decomposition can be enough to start the dry compost on fire (all the dead, dried plant material burns easily too). Pouring water on it probably didn't make it any worse, just didn't help either. Once you got it wet, it got smokier plus the steam rising from the water.

Whoops! I think that might have been one of the bags that was supposed to be delivered here, to us at Area 51.

zoobyshoe said:
Whoops! I think that might have been one of the bags that was supposed to be delivered here, to us at Area 51.
:smile:

As I thought about it more, was there any sign of a cigarette in the planter? If it was outside, someone who needed to put out a cigarette before entering the building might have just dumped it in an old, obviously unused planter if no ashtray was nearby and that could have ignited the vegetation in the planter.

zoobyshoe said:
Wasn't the "special soil" that we were supposed to get last wednesday?! Call the sargent! That was supposed to feul our all natural aircraft!

OMG..I told everyone our plans

oh! area fifty one? nope, don't go there... :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
As I thought about it more, was there any sign of a cigarette in the planter? If it was outside, someone who needed to put out a cigarette before entering the building might have just dumped it in an old, obviously unused planter if no ashtray was nearby and that could have ignited the vegetation in the planter.
I didn't see one but my boss had already tried putting it out so he may have done something with it if there was one.
Thank you all. I should probably e-mail the faculty member about this.

Evo said:
Have you ever noticed how hot peat feels?

Generally I don't make it a habit of feeling guys named Pete, no matter how "hot" they are. :biggrin:

DocToxyn said:
Generally I don't make it a habit of feeling guys named Pete, no matter how "hot" they are. :biggrin:
That's what she named your turtle.

Related to Soil & Combustion - Unusual Work Situation

1. What is the relationship between soil and combustion?

The relationship between soil and combustion is that soil can serve as a fuel source for combustion. Organic matter in soil, such as plants, can be broken down and release energy in the form of heat when ignited.

2. How does soil affect combustion in an unusual work situation?

In an unusual work situation, soil can affect combustion in several ways. For example, the type of soil and its moisture content can impact the rate at which combustion occurs. Additionally, soil can provide a source of oxygen for the combustion process, and its composition can also affect the production of smoke and other byproducts.

3. Can soil be used as a fuel source for combustion?

Yes, soil can be used as a fuel source for combustion. However, it is not a commonly used or efficient fuel source compared to other sources such as fossil fuels. Using soil as a fuel source may also have negative environmental impacts.

4. What are some unusual work situations where soil and combustion may intersect?

Some unusual work situations where soil and combustion may intersect include controlled burns in agriculture or forestry, geothermal energy production, and landfill fires. In these situations, soil may play a role in the combustion process or be affected by the combustion taking place.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with soil and combustion?

When working with soil and combustion, it is important to take safety precautions to prevent accidents or injuries. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and following proper procedures for handling and disposing of materials. It is also important to have a plan in place in case of emergencies, such as a fire or explosion.