Software to graph a volume (solid) of revolution?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in finding suitable programs to graph volumes of revolution for a paper. The equation being used is z = pi*int from 0 to 1 of (x^2)^2 dx, which is a constant. The person has tried using Gnuplot, but was unable to graph the desired volume. They decide to not use graphs of volumes of revolution in their paper.
zdenton

Homework Statement

I am writing a paper on volumes of revolution. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any suitable programs to represent them graphically. (I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum.)

Homework Equations

Graphing the volume of revolution of, say, [tex]\pi\int_{0}^{1}\left(x^{2}\right)^{2}\, dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Gnuplot, but wasn't able to graph a volume of revolution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't say what you entered in Gnuplot as the equation to be graphed. For your problem, you want to graph the portion of the paraboloid z = x2 + y2 that is bounded by the planes z = 0 and z = 1.

Thanks for the response. I had tried to literally graph [tex] z=\pi\int_{0}^{1}\left(x^{2}\right)^{2}\, dx[/tex] ... but I hadn't realized that that is a constant. (doh!)

Anyway, after seeing the output from Gnuplot, I think I'll just eschew the use of graphs of volumes of revolution in my paper.

Last edited:

Related to Software to graph a volume (solid) of revolution?

1. What is software to graph a volume of revolution?

Software to graph a volume of revolution is a computer program that allows you to create a visual representation of a solid formed by rotating a shape around an axis.

2. What are the benefits of using software to graph a volume of revolution?

The main benefit of using software to graph a volume of revolution is that it allows you to accurately and quickly visualize complex 3D shapes, which can be helpful in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It also allows you to make changes to the shape and see the effect on the volume in real time.

3. What types of shapes can be graphed using this software?

This software can graph any shape that can be rotated around an axis, such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and more complex curves and polygons.

4. How accurate are the volume calculations produced by the software?

The accuracy of the volume calculations depends on the precision of the inputs and the complexity of the shape being graphed. However, most software programs use advanced algorithms and calculations to ensure a high level of accuracy.

5. Is this software user-friendly for those without a background in math or programming?

Many software programs for graphing volumes of revolution have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to guide users through the process. However, a basic understanding of math concepts such as integration and rotation is helpful in using the software effectively.