Software for calculating aircraft aerodynamic coefficients

In summary, the person is looking for a software that can generate aerodynamic coefficients such as CD, CL, CY, Cl, Cm, and Cn. They are aware of specialized software but are wondering if they can use more commonly available software like AutoCAD Mechanical or Solidworks. Someone suggests using xfoil for airfoil values or Fluent for more comprehensive results. Another person mentions that Ansys Fluent and Solidworks Floworks can also generate these coefficients. The person mentions installing Autodesk Simulation CFD 2014 for free and asks for a tutorial on using it for aerodynamic coefficient calculations. Other suggestions are QBlade, XLR5, and PanAir for aircraft analysis. However, it is noted that CFD is not easy and
phys_student1
Hi,

I want a software that can generate aerodynamic coefficients (CD, CL, CY,Cl,Cm,Cn, etc)
I am aware of some specialized software (e.g. AVL, open source from MIT, LinAir Pro, commercial, etc).

But was wondering whether I can use 'common' software like AutoCAD Mechanical or Solidworks for this task? The reason is that these softwares are available in my university, so no need to buy any software.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some of those CAD programs have some limited fluid mechanics abilities, but they are going to be very limited. If you are looking for those values on an airfoil, you might try xfoil. Otherwise you would likely need to use something more fully-featured like Fluent.

Is ANSYS Fluent able to generate all drag and lift coeff. given an airplane geometry?

I don't have enough direct experience with it to be able to tell you what it can generate automatically, but I know it can generate the whole flow over an immersed body (such as an airplane) and from that data you can calculate basically whatever you want. Of course, it would also depend on the turbulence model you decide to use as well.

Ansys fluent will at least give you lift, drag and moment about any arbitrary axis. The same goes for solidworks floworks. Calculate the desired coefficients from the obtained data or simply set up equation goals before you start the simulation.

Thanks, I have just installed Autodesk Simulation CFD 2014 (free for students!).

If anyone knows a tutorial for using this software specifically for aerodynamic coefficients calculations, please tell me!

try QBlade or XLR5.. specially created for Aircraft analysis.

PanAir is free and will do it. However, getting your model into it is a bit of a challenge. I have a program that allows you to model you craft using Blender3D and then exporting it into a PanAir friendly format.

The problem with something like AutoCAD, Solidsorks or Fluent is that CFD is not trivial. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to create a proper grid around your model and like boneh3ad mentioned you need to know something about turbulence models. Then you need a sufficient amount of computational power and this an be difficult if you want to simulate a full 3D aircraft.

If you can live without CD which is going to be the hardest thing to get anyways you could try a vortex lattice code like Tornado which is in Matlab, XFLR5 which is a mix of vortex lattice, panel method and lifting line, or a full 3d panel method like PanAir as was mentioned above.

Many of these codes will give a good estimate of lift and the many stability and control derivatives as long as you are not in the stalled regime in which case you probably will not get good results from CFD anyways.

Related to Software for calculating aircraft aerodynamic coefficients

1. What is the purpose of software for calculating aircraft aerodynamic coefficients?

The purpose of this software is to accurately predict and analyze the aerodynamic performance of an aircraft. This includes calculating coefficients such as lift, drag, and moment, which are essential for understanding the behavior and stability of an aircraft in flight.

2. How does the software calculate these coefficients?

The software uses mathematical models and equations, such as the equations of motion and computational fluid dynamics, to simulate the flow of air around the aircraft. It takes into account various factors such as airspeed, angle of attack, and aircraft geometry to calculate the aerodynamic coefficients.

3. What types of aircraft can this software be used for?

This software can be used for a wide range of aircraft, including fixed-wing airplanes, helicopters, and even unmanned aerial vehicles. It is also applicable to different types of flight, such as subsonic, transonic, and supersonic.

4. How accurate is the software in predicting aerodynamic coefficients?

The accuracy of the software depends on various factors such as the complexity of the aircraft geometry and the fidelity of the mathematical models used. Generally, the software has been validated against experimental data and has been found to have a high level of accuracy.

5. Is this software only used during the design phase of an aircraft?

No, this software is also used during the testing and evaluation phase of an aircraft. It allows engineers to analyze the aerodynamic performance of a prototype or existing aircraft and make improvements for better flight characteristics and efficiency.