Sobolev type norms and basis functions

In summary, the conversation is about a Sobolev type inner product defined as the sum of the standard inner product and a multiple of the inner product of the operators acting on the functions. The question is whether a function space with such an inner product can be a Hilbert space and if there is an analogue to the spectral theorem for compact and self-adjoint operators on Hilbert spaces in Sobolev spaces. The speaker has figured out that the induced norm is equivalent to the Sobolev norm, making the space a Hilbert space.
ahg187
Hello everybody,

I am given a "Sobolev type innerproduct"

[itex]\langle f,g \rangle_{\alpha} = \langle f,g \rangle_{L^2} + \alpha \langle Rf,Rg \rangle_{L^2}[/itex]

for some [itex]\alpha \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex] some differential operator (e.g. the second-derivative operator).

My question is now whether a function space endowed with such an inner-product can be a Hilbert space?

Also I wonder whether there exists an analogue to the spectral theorem for compact and self-adjoint operators on Hilbert spaces also in Sobolev spaces?

Thanks for any input on these questions!

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out!

I showed that the norm induced by [itex]\langle \cdot, \cdot \rangle_{\alpha}[/itex] is indeed equivalent to the standard Sobolev norm [itex] \Vert \cdot \Vert_{W^{2,2}}[/itex] of the Sobolev space [itex] W^{2,2} [/itex] which is of course the (reproducing kernel) Hilbert space [itex] H^2 [/itex].

Related to Sobolev type norms and basis functions

1. What are Sobolev type norms?

Sobolev type norms are mathematical tools used to measure the smoothness of functions in function spaces. They are named after the Russian mathematician Sergei Sobolev, who first introduced them in the 1930s. These norms are commonly used in the study of partial differential equations and are defined in terms of derivatives of the functions.

2. How are Sobolev type norms different from other types of norms?

Sobolev type norms are different from other types of norms, such as Lp norms, because they take into account not only the values of the function, but also the values of its derivatives. This makes them particularly useful in the study of differential equations, as they can provide information about the regularity of the solutions.

3. What are basis functions in the context of Sobolev type norms?

In the context of Sobolev type norms, basis functions refer to a set of functions that can be used to approximate a more complex function. These basis functions are often chosen to have certain properties that make them well-suited for the problem at hand, such as being smooth and compactly supported.

4. How are Sobolev type norms used in the study of PDEs?

Sobolev type norms are commonly used in the study of partial differential equations (PDEs) because they provide a way to measure the smoothness of solutions. This is important because the regularity of solutions to PDEs is closely related to the existence and uniqueness of solutions.

5. Can Sobolev type norms be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, Sobolev type norms have applications in various areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, harmonic analysis, and numerical analysis. They are also used in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fluid mechanics and elasticity.