So You Want to Go Back to School - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter PhotonSSBM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary: So You Want to Go Back to School"In summary, PhotonSSBM shared a post about their experience going back to school at 24 and how it has been an inspiring journey. They also agree with the advice given in the post and add that students should not ignore the recommended study hours, especially for math and science classes. They suggest reading ahead and completing practice problems to reinforce learning. For test preparation, they recommend finding old exams and studying them multiple times. Finally, they share their own experience of returning to school at 22 and studying physics as a second-year undergraduate. They encourage others to pursue their dreams of education and share a motivational quote for those feeling uncertain.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
PhotonSSBM submitted a new PF Insights post

So You Want to Go Back to School

goingbacktoschool-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a lot like the situation I find myself in, and this was an inspiring read, so thank you for posting!

Likes Greg Bernhardt and PhotonSSBM
Agree with just about everything here. I also relate to your situation (went back to school around ~24).

Thanks for this post.

Likes PhotonSSBM and Greg Bernhardt
Really nice down to Earth advice and experience sharing, thanks!

Likes PhotonSSBM
This is fabulous advice, not just for students returning to college, but for ALL students. Thanks for writing it!

One thing that’s told to every student in any college is that for every hour in class you must spend 3 hours outside of class studying. Most students ignore this, and those students typically don’t get A’s unless the class is trivial. Assuming you’re a run-of-the-mill human who like most of us is decidedly average in intelligence, you will not be able to ignore this tip. If you do not put in the hours, especially in your math and science classes, you will not get A’s. This is the biggest killer for students who go on to a 4-year school after community college and find that the courses are much harder.

For your math and science classes it is best to read the material that you will be going over in the next lecture ahead of time while doing the example problems and as many of the end of chapter problems as time allows. Lecture should be used as reinforcement, not the foundation or your intuition. This is the method that education research has shown time and again is the key to great success in science and math courses at the university level. Even if you’re confident in the material, don’t skimp on this way of studying. Remember, the point of studying isn’t to do as little as possible and still do well to stroke your ego, it’s to build good habits so that when you reach material that isn’t your strong suit (and it will come, believe me) then you will have the tools to learn it effectively ahead of time.

Study habits for tests require a bit more strategy. Depending on the class, you could have anything from multiple choice (my chemistry class), to 10 long problems to do in 2 hours (my first physics class). What you should do regardless is try to find an old exam from the professor or build your own exam from the harder questions in your textbooks. You should study these exams by completing them once, checking your mistakes, and retaking them to reinforce in your brain the correct way to do the problems. This was a strategy employed by a UC Berkeley student majoring in finance who got a perfect score on the most failed exam in the school, and was what gave me the skills to do well in classes that are often failed at my Community College.

Likes PhotonSSBM and Greg Bernhardt
Returned to school @22 with no high school finished. Now I'm second year undergrad studying physics. Is hard to change your life, but it only gets better. I found this very motivational whenever you feel like what you are studying won't be useful for you:

Related to So You Want to Go Back to School - Comments

1. What are the benefits of going back to school?

The benefits of going back to school include gaining new knowledge and skills, expanding career opportunities, increasing earning potential, and personal growth and fulfillment.

2. How do I choose the right school or program?

Choosing the right school or program depends on your goals and interests. Consider factors such as accreditation, program offerings, location, cost, and reputation.

3. Can I balance going back to school with my current job and family responsibilities?

Yes, it is possible to balance going back to school with other responsibilities. You may need to adjust your schedule and prioritize your time, but many schools offer flexible options, such as online or evening classes.

4. What financial aid options are available for adult learners?

Financial aid options for adult learners include scholarships, grants, loans, and employer tuition assistance programs. It is important to research and apply for these options early to maximize your funding.

5. How can I make the most out of my experience as an adult learner?

To make the most out of your experience as an adult learner, set clear goals, stay organized, actively participate in class, seek support from professors and peers, and take advantage of resources and opportunities offered by the school.