So, the area between the two functions is 72 units squared.

In summary, we can find the area between the curves y1=12-x^2 and y2=x^2-6 by finding the limits of integration and applying the even function rule. The final answer is 72, not 108 as initially calculated.
tmt1
I need to find the are between $$y1 = 12 - x^2$$ and $$ y2 = x^2 - 6$$.

Since y1 is greater, I subtract y2 from y1 getting:

$$ \int 18 - 2x^2$$ which is $$18x - 2x^3 / 3$$,

The intersecting points are $$x = -3 and x= 3$$.

So I find $$18x - 2x^3 / 3 from x = 3 to x = -3$$(I'm trying to figure out how to do this in latex)

which just equals 108, however the answer is 72, so what am I doing wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the underscore character for subscripting:

\(\displaystyle y_1=12-x^2\)

\(\displaystyle y_2=x^2-6\)

I prefer to find the limits of integration first:

\(\displaystyle 12-x^2=x^2-6\)

\(\displaystyle 2x^2=18\implies x=\pm3\)

We have two even functions, and limits that are symmetric about the $y$-axis, so we can apply the even function rule, to give the enclosed area $A$ as:

\(\displaystyle A=2\int_0^3 18-2x^2\,dx=4\int_0^3 9-x^2\,dx=4\left[9x-\frac{x^3}{3}]\right]_0^3=4\left(27-9\right)=72\)

Related to So, the area between the two functions is 72 units squared.

What is the area between two functions?

The area between two functions is the region enclosed by the two functions on a graph. It is the total space that is bounded by the two curves.

How do you calculate the area between two functions?

To calculate the area between two functions, you need to find the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, you can use the definite integral to find the area between these points.

What is the difference between the area between two functions and the area under a single function?

The area between two functions is the space bounded by two curves, while the area under a single function is the space between the curve and the x-axis. The area between two functions can also be positive or negative, while the area under a single function is always positive.

What are some real-world applications of finding the area between two functions?

Finding the area between two functions is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the total profit of a company, or the volume of a complex shape.

What are the limitations of using the area between two functions?

One limitation of using the area between two functions is that it assumes the functions are continuous and smooth. In real-world situations, this may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated area may be affected by the resolution of the graph or the method used for finding the area.