So I've just applied for Physics in College

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's decision to study Physics in university and their concern about the lack of advanced mathematics courses in the program. They also consider the option of studying Mathematics instead, but worry about their knowledge in basic physics. The other person suggests taking elective courses in math or self-studying to supplement their physics education.
Calabi_Yau
High School is over and I'm finally going to University to study Physics this Fall.

In the past few years, choosing that course with the intention of concentrating more on theoretical aspects of physics has always been dead set on my mind.

However, lately as I was analysing the course page with all the subjects, semestre by semestre, I found out that during the entire undergraduate programme there was no single subject in the Physics course involving Topology, Differential Geometry or Abstract Algebra. Conversely, the undergraduate programme in Mathematics was loaded with all that stuff in the third year.

As I've done a little of research on what lies behind some topics of Theoretical Physics and occasionally frequent this forum, I am preoccupied that my undergraduate programme in Physics doesn't provide enough of that Advanced Maths (such as Group and Set Theory and other advanced Algebra and Geometry subjects) and also the Graduate Programme in Physics doesn't offer any of them either (though I am strongly determined to take my Matsers degree abroad, perhaps in the US, UK or Germany, I'll see then).

I also found out that many theoretical physicists have both math and physics degrees, so does that mean that I must have both degrees in order to be prepared to tackle topics like supersymmetry or quantum gravity? My university doesn't allow, I most certainly think, to apply to both undergraduate courses in simultaneous and even so I don't think it would be manageable as the maths programme has a lot of other subjects too.

I would appreciate you gave me some insight on this, because right now I am not sure if I should apply for maths instead, but that would mean I would have few bases in basic physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're into the more mathematical aspects of physics, then things like differential geometry will turn out to be very important. Still, if your plan is to do physics later, then you should absolutely major in physics, even if it's light in math. Getting a good physical intuition is crucial. A pure math knowledge is handy, but doesn't weigh up against a good physics knowledge.

I would suggest you to take elective courses in the math department, or even to double major. If that is impossible (like it is impossible in my country), then you should self-study the necessary mathematics.

Related to So I've just applied for Physics in College

1. What are the requirements to apply for Physics in College?

The specific requirements for applying to a Physics program may vary depending on the college or university. Generally, applicants are expected to have a strong background in mathematics and science, particularly in physics and calculus. Additionally, most programs will require applicants to have completed high school courses in chemistry and/or biology. It is also important to have a strong GPA and SAT/ACT scores.

2. What can I do with a degree in Physics?

A degree in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, education, and even finance. Some common job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, aerospace engineer, and science teacher. Many physics majors also go on to pursue graduate degrees in fields such as physics, astronomy, or engineering.

3. Is it necessary to have prior experience in Physics to apply for the program?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in Physics to apply for the program. However, having a strong foundation in math and science will be beneficial. Many colleges offer introductory physics courses for students who have not taken physics in high school.

4. What skills will I develop in a Physics program?

In addition to gaining a deep understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, students in a Physics program also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also learn how to design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and communicate scientific findings effectively. These skills can be applied to a wide range of careers and are highly valued by employers.

5. Can I double major in Physics and another subject?

It is possible to double major in Physics and another subject, but it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. Some common double majors for physics students include math, engineering, or computer science. It is important to consult with an advisor to ensure that all requirements for both majors are met within the expected timeline.