So is all energy a function of one of the 4 forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its relation to forces in physics. While potential and kinetic energy are functions of gravity and other forces, there are also exceptions such as the exchange interaction and rest energy. The four fundamental forces only refer to known forces mediated by bosons, while other forces in nature do not involve bosons. The strong force is responsible for most of an object's rest mass. The conversation also mentions the difference in terminology between high energy theory and classical mechanics.
ebos
Just wondering about energy. I find energy and fields the 2 most fascinating parts of physics. Since potential and kinetic energy are functions of gravity (and perhaps other forces I hadn't considered); are all types of energy functions of a force? Or are there also exceptions? Or unknowns? Greatly appreciate some of your usual fine input plus as many pertinent links you have to share.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference in lingo used between high energy theory and forces in classical mechanics. As far as I'm aware, the "four fundamental forces" refer to the known forces which are believed to be mediated by bosons. In contrast, there are forces in nature which have nothing to do with bosons. Like the exchange interaction, a force which arises when you try to push electrons (or other fermions) into the same state, which would violate the Pauli exclusion principle. Griffiths mentions in passing that there is such a force in solids on page 223 of the 2nd edition of his quantum mechanics text. I believe it is the main mechanism responsible for contact forces, but I don't currently have a source to back me up on that.

Another exception could be rest energy. As far as I know, none of the four fundamental forces are responsible for the energy stored in an object's rest mass.

Twigg said:
Another exception could be rest energy. As far as I know, none of the four fundamental forces are responsible for the energy stored in an object's rest mass.
Most of the rest mass of ordinary objects is due to the strong force.

Since the OP is having access issues, we will close this thread for now. If you are curious, you might want to open your own thread.

Related to So is all energy a function of one of the 4 forces?

1. What are the 4 fundamental forces of energy?

The 4 fundamental forces of energy are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces are responsible for all interactions between particles and objects in the universe.

2. Is all energy a result of one or more of these 4 forces?

Yes, all forms of energy can be attributed to one or more of the 4 fundamental forces. These forces are responsible for the movement and interactions of particles, which ultimately determine the type and amount of energy present.

3. How does gravity contribute to energy?

Gravity is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass. This attraction causes objects to move and interact with each other, resulting in the potential and kinetic energy of the objects.

4. How does electromagnetism play a role in energy?

Electromagnetism is responsible for the interactions between charged particles. This force is involved in all forms of electromagnetic energy, such as light, electricity, and magnetism.

5. Can energy be converted from one force to another?

Yes, energy can be converted from one force to another. For example, nuclear energy is the result of the conversion of mass through the strong nuclear force, and electromagnetic energy can be converted into kinetic energy through the use of electric motors.