So I'm going to take Jackson in the fall.

In summary, the conversation revolves around studying advanced mathematical concepts, specifically in the book Griffiths. The speaker mentions their background in vector calculus and group theory, as well as taking a class that used Boas. They also mention specific sections in Griffiths, such as the formal solution of electrostatic boundary-value problem and the variational approach to solving equations. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing excitement for the challenge ahead.
wotanub
I've heard many horror stories. Any tips? Any specific parts of Griffiths I should be extra keen on?

Is the answer...*sigh*... "all of it backwards and forwards"?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your mathematical background like?

My [vector] calculus is good. I could be better at solving differential equations. Getting my feet wet in group theory for the last couple of weeks.

I've taken a class that used Boas, that was a few years ago.

wotanub said:
My [vector] calculus is good. I could be better at solving differential equations. Getting my feet wet in group theory for the last couple of weeks.

I've taken a class that used Boas, that was a few years ago.

I see in the first chapter "Formal solution of electrostatic boundary-value problem with Green function" on page 38 and "Variational approach to the solution of Laplace and Poisson equations" on page 43, which suggests to me that this is rather like a review of what you need to know, with new content kicking off in chapter 2.

Which sounds to me (given the little that I know about such advanced things) like everything in Boas, particularly chapters 12 and 13, to be understood and mastered before you start.

Sounds fun :>.

I cannot provide tips on taking a specific course or professor. However, I would suggest approaching the course with an open mind and a willingness to work hard. It is also important to actively engage with the material and seek help when needed. As for specific parts of the textbook, it would be beneficial to thoroughly understand all concepts and equations, rather than focusing on specific sections. Good luck in your studies!

Related to So I'm going to take Jackson in the fall.

1. How do you plan on preparing for Jackson in the fall?

I plan on researching and familiarizing myself with the current literature and research on Jackson's specific field of study. I will also collaborate with other scientists and attend conferences to stay updated on advancements in the field.

2. What challenges do you anticipate while working with Jackson in the fall?

One potential challenge could be finding a balance between providing enough guidance and support, while also allowing Jackson to develop their own ideas and experiments. I will also need to effectively communicate and collaborate with Jackson to ensure a smooth working relationship.

3. What are your goals for working with Jackson in the fall?

My main goal is to mentor and guide Jackson in their research and help them develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. I also hope to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and discoveries in our field through our collaboration.

4. How will you measure success in working with Jackson in the fall?

I will measure success by the progress and achievements of Jackson's research project, as well as their personal growth and development throughout the fall semester. I will also take into consideration any feedback from Jackson and their peers or colleagues.

5. How will you ensure a positive and productive working relationship with Jackson in the fall?

To ensure a positive and productive working relationship, I will establish clear expectations and goals, maintain open communication, and provide regular feedback and support. I will also be respectful of Jackson's ideas and work style, and foster a collaborative and inclusive environment.