Schwartz vs. Jackson: Comparing EM Textbooks for Graduate Studies

• Thread starter chill_factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em Jackson
In summary, If you are currently attending a Master's program that uses Schwartz for electromagnetism instead of Jackson, you may not be at a disadvantage if you were to apply to a PhD program that uses Jackson. However, you may need to take a second round of Jackson in order to meet the requirements for the PhD program. Additionally, the Jackson experience involves a lot of mathematical evaluations rather than learning new physics, so you may not be missing out on much by not taking it.
chill_factor
My M.S. school is using Schwartz for EM instead of Jackson. I've heard horror stories about Jackson so I'm very happy at this news right now. However, does this mean I'm "missing out" and would need to do Jackson for a 2nd round of EM if I were to go to PhD in Physics at a different school that uses Jackson?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Schwartz is more along the lines of Griffiths and under undergraduate electromagnetism texts than it is along the lines of Jackson. If you go to a PhD program that uses Jackson, they probably won't accept that course for placing out (unless you go significantly above and beyond the scope of what Schwartz covers).

As to whether you're missing out? Maybe not. A substantial part of the Jackson experience is spent evaluating mathematical expressions, not learning new physics.

Related to Schwartz vs. Jackson: Comparing EM Textbooks for Graduate Studies

1. What is the difference between Schwartz and Jackson for EM?

The main difference between Schwartz and Jackson for EM is the approach to electromagnetic theory. Schwartz's approach is more mathematically rigorous and relies heavily on abstract concepts such as vector calculus and differential forms. Jackson's approach is more practical and focuses on applications of electromagnetic theory in engineering and physics.

2. Which text is better for beginners in electromagnetic theory?

For beginners, Schwartz's text may be more challenging due to its focus on mathematical rigor. Jackson's text may be a better choice as it provides a more intuitive and practical approach to understanding electromagnetic theory.

3. Which text is more comprehensive?

Both texts are comprehensive and cover all the fundamental concepts of electromagnetic theory. However, Jackson's text may be more comprehensive for applications in engineering and physics, as it includes more real-world examples and problems.

4. Which text is more suitable for advanced studies in electromagnetic theory?

For advanced studies, Schwartz's text may be more suitable as it delves deeper into abstract mathematical concepts and provides a more rigorous treatment of electromagnetic theory. However, Jackson's text may still be a valuable resource for advanced studies due to its practical applications and problem-solving approach.

5. Can both texts be used together for a more complete understanding of electromagnetic theory?

Yes, both texts can be used together for a more complete understanding of electromagnetic theory. Schwartz's text provides a strong theoretical foundation, while Jackson's text offers practical applications and problem-solving techniques. Combining the two can give a well-rounded understanding of electromagnetic theory.