So, for your problem, the correct value of f(-1) is 1/e, not e.

In summary, when solving a problem involving derivatives and integrals with negative powers, it is customary to use the convention of squaring the variable before applying the minus sign.
Awesomesauce

Homework Statement

(i) find [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] dx in terms of X.
(ii) Find [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] dx for X= 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex]dx

-x[itex]^{2}[/itex] = X

dX/dx=-2x hence -1/2 dX = xdx

so, -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] e[itex]^{x}[/itex] dx

then [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{x^{2}}[/itex] ]

Ok, here is the first problem I have encountered. For my answer, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{x^{2}}[/itex] ], this is wrong according to wolfram and my textbook. the answer should be
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] ], where there is a minus before the x[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I can not think of how to come to this! :(

I assume substituting -x[itex]^{2}[/itex] = X is correct, as that is what i normally do with standard u-substitution problems.

Ok, second part (ii) So this problem also applies to other problems as well with negative powers of x.
Using the answer the textbook got, I input, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{(-1)^{2}}[/itex] ] and get -0.859. The answer should be 0.3161, and to get this I need to remove the brackets from (-1) hence[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{-1^{2}}[/itex] ]

I'm not sure if my brain is playing up and this is a stupid question, or my calculator; but I always thought you place brackets around the negative number when squaring hence -1 x -1 = 1... rather than -1. This problem also happens with other integration problems I have gone through. Someone help me!
Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are jumping ahead of yourself in the choice of substitution. Rather than using the upper limit X of the definite integral, instead choose u = x^2 (where x is the variable of integration).

SteamKing said:
You are jumping ahead of yourself in the choice of substitution. Rather than using the upper limit X of the definite integral, instead choose u = x^2 (where x is the variable of integration).

Hurray I got it! Thank you x1000. But why do I not substitute the minus aswell, so u= -x^2? rather than just u=x^2
Edit: Checked over it, seems like it only works if I substitute u=-x^2 not u=x^2, ...or not? Confusion! :(
Do you know why my second part is wrong?

Last edited:
The substitution u = -x^2 is probably better.

I don't know why your second part is wrong because nothing of you work is shown.

Ah sorry, didn't make my workings clear. :p(ii) Find [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] dx for X= 1, 2, 3 and 4
I will just do X=1, so I understand how to do the others on my own later.

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{(-1)^{2}}[/itex] ] and get -0.859.
The answer should be 0.3161, and to get this I need to remove the brackets from (-1) hence[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{-1^{2}}[/itex] ]

Why do I not include brackets around -1? That would be -1 x 1, hence not (-1)^2 then in my calculator.

Thanks again :)

In evaluating e^-x^2, for x = 1,2,3,4, the convention is the value of x is squared before application of the minus sign. Similarly, if you were given the polynomial f(x) = -x^2+2x-4 to evaluate at x = -1, you would calculate as follows:

f(-1) = -[(-1)^2)] + 2*(-1) - 4 = -1-2-4 = -7

Related to So, for your problem, the correct value of f(-1) is 1/e, not e.

1. What is the purpose of using Integration by Substitution?

Integration by Substitution is a technique used to simplify the integration of complicated functions by substituting a variable with a new one. This allows us to transform the integral into a more manageable form and makes it easier to find the antiderivative.

2. How do you determine which variable to substitute in Integration by Substitution?

The variable to substitute is typically chosen based on the structure of the function being integrated. It is usually the innermost function or the function within a function. For example, if the function is f(x^2), then we would substitute x^2 as the new variable.

3. Can any function be integrated using Integration by Substitution?

Yes, Integration by Substitution can be used for any function as long as it is continuous and differentiable on the given interval. However, some functions may require multiple substitutions or other integration techniques in order to be integrated.

4. How do you know if Integration by Substitution was successful?

If Integration by Substitution was successful, the resulting integral should be easier to solve than the original one. Additionally, substituting the variable back into the integral should result in the original function.

5. Are there any specific steps to follow when using Integration by Substitution?

Yes, there are a few steps to follow when using Integration by Substitution. First, identify the variable to substitute. Then, find the derivative of that variable and substitute it into the integral. Next, integrate the new integral and substitute the original variable back in. Finally, solve for the constant of integration if necessary.