SNRDB= 10*log10(SNR) -> log base 10SNR = 10.^(SNRDB/10)

• Thread starter hariyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Log
In summary, equation 2 is derived from equation 1 by using the properties of exponents and the fact that 10 can be expressed as the exponential of its natural logarithm. This allows for a simplified form of the equation while maintaining numerical equivalence.
hariyo
SNRDB= 10*log10(SNR) --> log base 10SNR = 10.^(SNRDB/10)

SNRDB= 10*log10(SNR) --> log base 10

SNR = 10.^(SNRDB/10) ---(1)

SNR = exp(SNRDB*ln(10)/10) ---(2)

How is equation 2 comes as I checked both equation 1 & 2 are equivalent numerically. I am not able to derive equation 2.

Physics news on Phys.org

hariyo said:
SNRDB= 10*log10(SNR) --> log base 10

SNR = 10.^(SNRDB/10) ---(1)

SNR = exp(SNRDB*ln(10)/10) ---(2)

How is equation 2 comes as I checked both equation 1 & 2 are equivalent numerically. I am not able to derive equation 2.

10=exp(ln(10))=e^(ln(10)). Put that into one of the 10's in the second equation and use properties of exponents.

Thankyou I got it now.Cheers!

Related to SNRDB= 10*log10(SNR) -> log base 10SNR = 10.^(SNRDB/10)

1. What does the formula SNRDB= 10*log10(SNR) represent?

The formula SNRDB= 10*log10(SNR) is used to convert the Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) from a linear scale to a logarithmic scale. This conversion is often used in telecommunications and signal processing to better represent the range of values for SNR.

2. Why is it necessary to use a logarithmic scale for SNR?

Using a logarithmic scale for SNR allows for a wider range of values to be represented on a smaller scale. This is helpful because SNR values can vary greatly, and using a linear scale would result in a very large scale that is difficult to read and work with.

3. How do you calculate SNRDB from SNR?

To calculate SNRDB from SNR, you simply take the logarithm of the SNR value and multiply it by 10. This can be done using a calculator or by using a logarithm function in a programming language. The resulting value is the SNR expressed in decibels (dB).

4. What is the significance of SNR in signal processing?

SNR is an important measure of the quality of a signal. It represents the ratio of the signal power to the noise power in a given signal. A higher SNR value indicates a stronger and more reliable signal, while a lower SNR value indicates a weaker and potentially distorted signal.

5. How is SNRDB used in practical applications?

SNRDB is commonly used in signal processing and telecommunications to measure and compare the quality of different signals. It can also be used to set thresholds for determining if a signal is strong enough to be processed or transmitted accurately. Additionally, SNRDB can be used to optimize signal processing algorithms and systems to improve overall signal quality.