Small Gap between parallel plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of creating a small gap (~10-50nm) between two parallel plates and maintaining a known distance between them. The plates are 10mm x 10mm and made of flat and polished Si wafers. There is no voltage between them, but van der Waals interactions are a concern. Suggestions for maintaining the gap include using nano-particles or a film of thin oil, but these options may not be suitable due to their thickness. The possibility of using a stepper for lithography and a capacitance-based gap measuring technique is also mentioned, but the challenge of keeping the plates parallel remains.
mcodesmart
Any ideas on how one can make a small gap (~10-50nm) between two parallel plates and maintain a known distance between them. I have two very flat surfaces and I would like to maintain a small gap (known gap) across them. I searched in the literature but I came up with nothing so if you have any ideas, that would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mcodesmart said:
Any ideas on how one can make a small gap (~10-50nm) between two parallel plates and maintain a known distance between them. I have two very flat surfaces and I would like to maintain a small gap (known gap) across them. I searched in the literature but I came up with nothing so if you have any ideas, that would be great.

What are the dimensions of the plates? What are they made of? Do they have a voltage between them?

berkeman said:
What are the dimensions of the plates? What are they made of? Do they have a voltage between them?

The dimensions of the plate, (10mmx 10mm) and made from very flat and polished Si wafers. No voltage between them but I understand van dew Waal interactions is an issue at those lengths?

Could you put some nano-particles between the plates to keep them seperated.

Does the gap have to be air?

I was thinking a film of thin oil but it turns out they tend to be microns or 10s of microns thick so no good for this.

Presumably the gap needs to be maintained in the face of potential disturbances, so there is already a need for some distance adjustment mechanism.
Afaik, the steppers for lithography offer positioning to a few nanometers, so presumably one could measure the gap continuously and adjust as needed, probably with a capacitance based gap measuring technique. One issue would be keeping the plates parallel.

Related to Small Gap between parallel plates

What is a small gap between parallel plates?

A small gap between parallel plates refers to the distance between two flat, parallel surfaces, such as two metal plates, that are placed close together. This gap is typically very small, often less than a millimeter, and is used in various scientific experiments and technologies.

Why is a small gap between parallel plates important in science?

A small gap between parallel plates allows scientists to study various phenomena, such as electrical fields and fluid flow, in a controlled and precise manner. It also allows for the development of technologies such as capacitors and microfluidic devices.

How is the distance between parallel plates measured?

The distance between parallel plates can be measured using various tools such as calipers, micrometers, or optical methods. In scientific experiments, the distance is often controlled and measured using specialized equipment.

What factors affect the behavior of a small gap between parallel plates?

The behavior of a small gap between parallel plates can be affected by several factors, including the material and surface properties of the plates, the distance between them, the presence of a fluid or electric field, and the pressure or temperature of the system.

What are some applications of a small gap between parallel plates?

A small gap between parallel plates has various applications in science, technology, and engineering. It is used in the development of microelectronic devices, such as capacitors and sensors, as well as in the study of fluid flow, electrochemistry, and nanotechnology.