Small electronic windspeed sensor?

In summary: In summary, the aim of this device is to be able to control the volume and/or brightness of the tone produced by the flute by controlling the breath. This can be done using a thermistor or microphone to measure the airflow.
jack476
Hello, I'm putting together a sort of electronic flute and I'd like to be able to use a sensor to control expression with breath.

It needs to be small enough to bring up to the mouth to control, rather sensitive, and the cheaper the better. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think my post timed out?

Anyway - solid state (electronic) airflow sensing is it's own specialty. Often done with a thermistor (temperature varying resistor) or two. By applying current to one thermistor, you can gauge the cooling effect of the airflow, and compare to the second thermistor, ideally at the same ambient temp, but out of the airflow.

As you can imagine - doing this for breath, humidity, variable temperature - would be tricky.

I like that idea :)

I've used thermistors in the EE lab class I am in...guess I could just "borrow" a couple from the parts bin xD But do you think I might be able to shield them from ambient interference by like putting them in a little tube that you blow into?

I have also thought that maybe it could be possible to use a small mic and have the intensity of the input sound (breathing harder would of course be slightly louder) somehow hacked to control the expression. Thoughts on that?

Noise on microphone works, since this is a flute? - how will the mic pick up the "wind" noise and not the tone of the flute, it can be done, but gets complicated. As for what you mean by Expression I have no idea.

Last edited:
My mum has an anemometer someone hacked together from one of those cyclist's training computers. It's just a very light dynamo driven by some anemometer cups, basically.

Don't know if that's practical here.

Windadct said:
Noise on microphone works, since this is a flute? - how will the mic pick up the "wind" noise and not the tone of the flute, it can be done, but gets complicated. As for what you mean by Expression I have no idea.

I may not be using the terminology appropriately since I am only an amateur musician. What I'm trying to do is have the intensity of the breath control volume and/or the brightness of the tone, or a pitch modulator.

Practically, that just means I need some kind of analog control that can be operated with breath.

Windadct said:
how will the mic pick up the "wind" noise and not the tone of the flute, it can be done, but gets complicated. As for what you mean by Expression I have no idea.

These devices are available commercially - Yamaha and Akai are the two "big names".

You might get some construction ideas from http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/index.htm

Or some of the other links to forums etc here: http://www.patchmanmusic.com/WindControllerLinks.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Small electronic windspeed sensor?

What is a small electronic windspeed sensor?

A small electronic windspeed sensor is a device used to measure the speed of wind. It is typically a small and compact sensor that uses electronic components to detect the wind's velocity.

How does a small electronic windspeed sensor work?

A small electronic windspeed sensor uses a variety of methods to detect the wind's speed, such as anemometers, ultrasonic sensors, and hot-wire anemometers. These sensors measure changes in air pressure, sound waves, or electrical resistance caused by the wind, and then convert that data into a digital signal that can be read and interpreted by a computer.

What are the advantages of using a small electronic windspeed sensor?

One advantage of using a small electronic windspeed sensor is its compact size, making it easy to install in various locations. It also provides accurate and real-time data, allowing for more precise analysis and prediction of wind patterns. Additionally, it requires minimal maintenance and can withstand harsh weather conditions.

How is a small electronic windspeed sensor calibrated?

Calibration of a small electronic windspeed sensor involves comparing its readings to a known standard and adjusting it accordingly. This can be done in a controlled wind tunnel or with the use of wind velocity meters. It is essential to calibrate the sensor regularly to maintain accuracy.

What are the applications of a small electronic windspeed sensor?

A small electronic windspeed sensor has various applications, including weather forecasting, wind energy production, aviation, and environmental monitoring. It is also used in sports, such as sailing and windsurfing, to measure wind conditions for safety and performance.