Slope of Tangent line to Polar curve

In summary, the conversation is about finding the slope of the tangent line of a polar equation, r = 4 + sin theta, at the point (4,0). The person asking for help has already put the equation into Wolfram Alpha and received a 3D plot. They are seeking assistance in finding the slope of the tangent line. The conversation also includes a derivation of the formula for finding the slope of a tangent line in polar coordinates, and the final result is obtained by substituting the given values into the formula.
JProgrammer
I am trying to find the slope of the tangent line of this polar equation:

r = 4 + sin theta, (4,0)

I put the equation into wolfram alpha and it gives me a 3D plot.

If someone could help me find the slope of the tangent line, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• 120norr.jpg.png
    120norr.jpg.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
JProgrammer said:
I am trying to find the slope of the tangent line of this polar equation:

[tex]r \:=\: 4 + \sin\theta\;\; (4,0)[/tex]

Here is the derivation of the formula you want.

[tex]\begin{array}{cccccc}
y \;=\;r\sin\theta & \Rightarrow & \dfrac{dy}{d\theta} \;=\;r\cos\theta + r'\sin\theta \\
x \;=\;r\cos\theta & \Rightarrow & \;\;\dfrac{dx}{d\theta} \;=\;-r\sin\theta + r'\cos\theta \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\text{Therefore: }\;\frac{dy}{dx} \;=\;\dfrac{\dfrac{dy}{d\theta}}{\dfrac{dx}{d\theta}} \;=\; \dfrac{r\cos\theta + r'\sin\theta}{-r\sin\theta + r'\cos\theta}[/tex][tex]\text{For this problem: }\;r \:=\:4 + \sin\theta,\;r' \:=\:\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]\text{We have: }\;\dfrac{dy}{dx} \;=\;\dfrac{(4+\sin\theta)\cos\theta + \cos\theta\sin\theta}{-(4+\sin\theta)\sin\theta + \cos\theta\cos\theta}[/tex]

Now substitute [tex]\theta = 0.[/tex]

Related to Slope of Tangent line to Polar curve

What is the slope of the tangent line to a polar curve at a specific point?

The slope of the tangent line to a polar curve at a specific point is given by the derivative of the polar curve with respect to the angle theta at that point. This can be calculated using the formula dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt), where dy/dt and dx/dt represent the derivatives of the polar coordinates at that point.

How do you find the slope of the tangent line to a polar curve?

The slope of the tangent line to a polar curve can be found by first finding the derivative of the polar curve with respect to the angle theta. This can then be substituted into the formula dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) to calculate the slope at a specific point.

What does the slope of the tangent line to a polar curve represent?

The slope of the tangent line to a polar curve represents the rate of change of the polar coordinates (r, theta) at a specific point. It indicates the direction and steepness of the curve at that point.

How does the slope of the tangent line to a polar curve change at different points?

The slope of the tangent line to a polar curve can change at different points depending on the shape of the curve. At points where the curve is more curved, the slope will be steeper, while at points where the curve is more flat, the slope will be shallower.

Can the slope of the tangent line to a polar curve be negative?

Yes, the slope of the tangent line to a polar curve can be negative. This indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point and the tangent line is pointing downwards. A positive slope indicates that the curve is increasing at that point and the tangent line is pointing upwards.