Some doubts about these differentiation steps

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of derivatives and the point slope formula for finding the equation of a tangent line. It explains that a derivative represents the instantaneous slope of a function at a particular point, and the point slope formula can be used to find the equation of a tangent line. The conversation also touches on the relationship between y and f(x) in terms of representing a function, and the importance of correctly identifying coordinates on a graph.
awholenumber
pointslopeformula.png

First of all there is an equation
Then there is the derivative
Then there is a point slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line
Point slope formula to obtain the tangent line .
y=3a2(x-a)+a3
Then Plug in the x coordinate into the derivative to get the slope

f'(1) = 3(1)2
f'(1) = 3

What this means is that for any value of x=a, the instantaneous slope of f at (a,a3) is 3a2.

Here , i don't really understand some change of terms from f(x) to y , a ... etc

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
rosekidcute said:
Here , i don't really understand some change of terms from f(x) to y , a ... etc

Please help

When you draw a graph (using x and y axes), you are actually doing a graph of:

##y = f(x)##

And, in this case:

##y = x^3##

In one sense, ##y## and ##f(x)## are the same thing. And you can write the derivative in various forms ##\frac{dy}{dx} = y'(x) = f'(x)##.

If you want the derivative at a point ##x = a##, you can write: ##f'(a) = y'(a) = \frac{dy}{dx}(a) = \frac{dy}{dx}|_{a} = \frac{dy}{dx}|_{x=a}##

You may see all these different notations. But, they all mean the same thing.

Likes awholenumber and Mastermind01
rosekidcute said:
View attachment 197735

First of all there is an equation
Then there is the derivative
Then there is a point slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line
Point slope formula to obtain the tangent line .
y=3a2(x-a)+a3
Then Plug in the x coordinate into the derivative to get the slope

f'(1) = 3(1)2
f'(1) = 3

What this means is that for any value of x=a, the instantaneous slope of f at (a,a3) is 3a2.

Please help

Do you know what a derivative is (physical significance)?

We also have the point slope form from coordinate geometry ##y-y' = m(x-x')## which gives the equation of the line if the slope and one point ##(x',y')## are known.

Likes awholenumber
PeroK said:
When you draw a graph (using x and y axes), you are actually doing a graph of:

##y = f(x)##

And, in this case:

##y = x^3##

In one sense, ##y## and ##f(x)## are the same thing. And you can write the derivative in various forms ##\frac{dy}{dx} = y'(x) = f'(x)##.

If you want the derivative at a point ##x = a##, you can write: ##f'(a) = y'(a) = \frac{dy}{dx}(a) = \frac{dy}{dx}|_{a} = \frac{dy}{dx}|_{x=a}##

You may see all these different notations. But, they all mean the same thing.

Mastermind01 said:
Do you know what a derivative is (physical significance)?

We also have the point slope form from coordinate geometry ##y-y' = m(x-x')## which gives the equation of the line if the slope and one point ##(x',y')## are known.

Thanks for the reply ,

Actually i have many doubts , not sure where to start .

Lets start with the point itself , which is an x,y coordinate when the graph is x along the horizontal axis and y along the vertical axis . I hope this part is alright .

Anyway

We usually write a function likef(x)=x3
y = f(x)
y = x3
graphxcube.png

Between two points on a curve there is a slope, or rate of change, that we can calculate as

##\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} ##

With calculus and derivatives we are trying to find the instantaneous slope at one point. This is done by taking two points and shrinking them closer and closer and closer together, until they approach the same point. The goal is to find a rate that captures the slope of a function at a particular point

derivativexcube.png

derivativeresult3xsquare.png

Point slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line

y-y1 = m (x - x1 )
pointslopeformula.png

So these equations are same as

f(x) = x3
f(x) = 3x2(x-x)+x3
x=0

??

Last edited:
rosekidcute said:
So these equations are same as

f(x) = x3
f(x) = 3x2(x-x)+x3
x=0

??

The slope of the curve (derivative) at a given point is a number. You can then imagine a straight line through that point with the same slope. THis is called the tangent line. That line has a straight line equation. For a curve like ##x^3## there is a different tangent line at every point. For example, at the point ##(1, 1)## the slope of the curve is ##3##. The tangent line to the curve at this point is, therefore:

##y-1 = 3(x-1)##

We can also draw this line on the graph. But, if you have any two curves or lines on a graph, you have to be careful which one you are talking about.

In general, you can find the tangent line at any point on the curve ##(a, a^3)## in the same way.

And, you can find the tangent to any curve at any point in the same way.

##y - f(a) = f'(a)(x-a)##

In my first post I said that "in a sense" ##y## and ##f(x)## are the same thing, but if you have more than one curve, you need to show which one you are talking about - and ##y## can mean different things in different contexts.

Likes awholenumber
Thanks for helping ...

In general, you can find the tangent line at any point on the curve (a , a3 )in the same way

I am a bit confused about the coordinates , is this an y , x coordinate or an x , y coordinate ? :sorry:

rosekidcute said:
Thanks for helping ...
I am a bit confused about the coordinates , is this an y , x coordinate or an x , y coordinate ? :sorry:

It's always ##(x, y)## by convention.

Likes awholenumber
Thanks a lot PeroK for all the replies .
If i ask more silly doubts this thread might turn into a mess . :)

I need to re read this thread a couple of times to completely understand it .

Likes PeroK

Related to Some doubts about these differentiation steps

What are the differentiation steps?

The differentiation steps refer to the process by which cells become specialized and develop into different types of tissues and organs in the body. This process involves changes in gene expression and the activation of specific pathways that lead to the formation of different cell types.

Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is crucial for the development and maintenance of a healthy functioning body. It allows cells to perform specific functions and work together to carry out complex processes. Without differentiation, the body would not be able to repair itself or perform essential functions such as digestion or oxygen transport.

What factors influence differentiation?

There are several factors that can influence the differentiation process, including genetic information, environmental cues, and cell-to-cell communication. Differentiation can also be influenced by the presence of specific growth factors and hormones.

What are some common doubts about differentiation steps?

Some common doubts about differentiation steps include whether certain cells can differentiate into multiple cell types, whether differentiation can be reversed, and the role of epigenetics in the process. Researchers are still studying these questions and trying to gain a deeper understanding of the complex mechanisms involved in differentiation.

How is differentiation studied?

Scientists study differentiation using a variety of techniques, including cell culture, genetic manipulation, and imaging methods. They also use animal models and human tissue samples to observe the differentiation process in living organisms. Advanced technologies such as single-cell sequencing and gene editing have also greatly advanced our understanding of differentiation steps.