Slope of polar curve at indicated point

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the slope using polar coordinates. The formula for the slope is correct, but there is a possibility that $r$ is a function of $\theta$. The calculation provided results in a slope of $-\sqrt{3}/3$.
ineedhelpnow
$r=5$ and $\theta=\pi/6$$\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{d \theta}}{\frac{dx}{d \theta}}=\frac{\frac{dr}{d \theta}sin(\theta)+rcos(\theta)}{\frac{dr}{d \theta}cos(\theta)-rsin(\theta)}$

$\frac{0*sin(\pi/3)+5cos(\pi/3)}{0*cos(\pi/3)-5sin(\pi/3)}=-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}$
is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think i did everything right. that's the slope equation in my book so i just plugged everything in.

Related to Slope of polar curve at indicated point

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of a polar curve at a given point?

The slope of a polar curve at a given point (r,θ) can be found using the formula dy/dx = (r cosθ + r' sinθ) / (-r sinθ + r' cosθ), where r' represents the derivative of r with respect to θ.

2. How does the slope of a polar curve change as the point moves around the curve?

The slope of a polar curve changes as the point moves around the curve because the values of r and θ change. This causes the values of r' and θ' to also change, which in turn affects the overall slope of the curve at that point.

3. Can the slope of a polar curve be negative?

Yes, the slope of a polar curve can be negative. A negative slope indicates that the curve is decreasing in the counterclockwise direction, while a positive slope indicates an increase in the counterclockwise direction.

4. How can the slope of a polar curve be used to find the tangent line at a given point?

The slope of a polar curve at a given point can be used to find the tangent line by plugging in the values of r, θ, and r' into the point-slope formula (y-y1) = m(x-x1), where m represents the slope and (x1, y1) represents the coordinates of the given point.

5. What is the significance of the slope of a polar curve?

The slope of a polar curve is significant because it represents the rate of change of the curve at a given point. It can also be used to determine the direction of the curve and to find the tangent line, which can provide important information about the behavior of the curve.