Slope Fields: Understanding & Application

So in summary, the given problem involves tracing and determining the number and types of critical points, which are points where the slope is either 0 or undefined. The relation between x and y is y=10/x^2.
workerant
http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~greenfie/webstuff/pdfstuff/w6W.pdf
is the problem

For the first part, I believe it is just tracing, right? I look at the line at (0,1) and then follow it, but it's a little confusing.

Next
It says how many critical points...well a critical point is when it is undefined or has slope zero. It seems like there is a whole line of critical points of slope undefined (i.e. the vertical lines) and a few lines that are horizontal..i.e. slope zero..is that correct or are there not that many? So it would be infinite I believe.

I don't know what they mean by what types? I assume just slope=0 or undefined? I got the relation as y=10/x^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that right? Yes, you are right. A critical point is a point where the slope of the line is equal to 0 or undefined. There are infinite critical points in this problem since along the vertical lines, the slope is undefined. The relation between x and y is indeed y=10/x^2.

Related to Slope Fields: Understanding & Application

1. What is a slope field?

A slope field, also known as a direction field, is a graphical representation of the slope of a function at various points on a coordinate plane. It is created by placing small line segments or vectors with slopes corresponding to the slope of the function at each point.

2. How do you read a slope field?

To read a slope field, you start by identifying a point on the graph and drawing a tangent line to the function at that point. The slope of that line will match the slope of the vector or line segment at that point in the slope field. Repeat this process for other points on the graph to get a better understanding of the overall behavior of the function.

3. What is the purpose of a slope field?

The purpose of a slope field is to provide a visual representation of the behavior of a function. It can help in understanding the relationship between the variables in a function and how changes in those variables affect the overall shape of the function.

4. How do you use a slope field to solve differential equations?

To use a slope field to solve a differential equation, you start by drawing the slope field for the given equation. Then, you can plot the initial condition as a point on the graph and use the slope field to determine the direction of the solution curve at that point. By repeating this process at various points, you can sketch the approximate solution curve for the differential equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of slope fields?

Slope fields are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to understand and model the behavior of systems. They can be used to predict the growth or decline of populations, the trajectory of a moving object, or the fluctuation of stock prices. They also have applications in computer graphics and animation.