Sleep and Academic Success: How Many Hours Do You Really Need?

• Thread starter physicsnewb7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary: I don't understand why anyone would want to sleep that little. I feel like it would really mess with your brain. I usually sleep 8-9 hours a day, but I've stopped working out as much and oddly, I now sleep 8-9 hours a night. I thought it would be the other way around.I definitely do my best work in the wee hours.Your sleep schedule seems pretty normal to me. A lot of people need more sleep than that, but that's okay. Just listen to your body and try to get more sleep if you need it.I average around 6-7 hours of sleep a night. After a few days of "closer to 6" hours of sleep

How many hrs on average do you sleep?

• to hell with sleep I will get enough sleep when im dead

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 3-4

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • 6-7

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • 8-9

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • 9 and above

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters
physicsnewb7
I was curious to see the sleeping patterns of some the intelligent people here at PF. I get 5-6 hrs per night on average. Considering the consensus of a "good night's rest" is 8 hrs, I am worried that my 6 hrs a night might be negatively influencing my studies. What is your sleeping average? What sleeping schedule do you think is best?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnewb7 said:
I was curious to see the sleeping patterns of some the intelligent people here at PF.

How are you going to limit voting only to those intelligent?

Borek said:
How are you going to limit voting only to those intelligent?

I get a general feeling that everyone here is pretty intelligent.

Unfounded speculation. Topic will be soon locked pending moderation.

Borek said:

:smile:

Borek said:

Notice his tag is humor, not mentor.

I average between 6 and 7 a night. After a few days of "closer to 6" hours of sleep, I get rather irritable and I don't think as clearly. One good night of 7+ hours usually makes a huge difference.

Chronic sleep deficiency makes you age more quickly. I tended to sleep at least 8 a night all the way until I was 34 years old. At that time, people thought I was 24. Then we had our kids, and I went for about 5 years with 5 to 6 hours of sleep. I think I put on 15 years right then.

Iv'a avergaed 6 horus a nihgt fro decades wiht no affect on my pejromance whastoever.

Of course, I usulaly supplmeent that iwtha shrt nap in httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I don't do IQ tests, so I'm not sure if I may vote. But even after retirement I go to sleep between midnight and one hour am and wake up without alarm usually around six hours AM, if not earlier, every now and then.

Everyone is different in how much sleep your body needs to function at full capacity. Generally it's rated at 6.5-8.5 hours a night, but listen to your body. If your body is telling you that you need more sleep, LISTEN! If it's telling you to sleep less, again, listen to what it's telling you. I have insomniatic (is that a word? It's a pretty good one if so!) tendencies, and I've gone 9-10 months getting at most 2.5 hours of sleep a night, and I function perfectly fine, if not better. But that's also generally considered the minimum amount of sleep one should get to refresh their thought processes.

All in all, just listen to what your body is telling you. If you feel that 5-6 hours isn't enough and performance reflects that, then listen to what it's telling you and rest up!

Hm, I have tried to listen to my body, but only sounds I have heard were those I would not dare to repeat in public.

My sleep cycles are dictated by the collective. :wink:

I get 5 hrs per night or day (depends on my mood and free time) but there's definitely one day a week that I have to get sleep for about 10 hours or maybe more

Andre said:
I don't do IQ tests, so I'm not sure if I may vote.
If you have to ask...

you're probably not in the club...

:biggrin:

Kronos5253 said:
Everyone is different in how much sleep your body needs to function at full capacity.
That's a generalisation.

I, for example, am not different.

I sleep 8-9 hours aday
sometimes 9-10 hours

I was getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night not too long ago, but I've stopped working out as much and oddly, I now sleep 8-9 hours a night. I thought it would be the other way around.

I think it will be harmful to your brain. But I also think it means nothing, as you are still around saying that to me.

During the school year 5-6 a night. During regular summer 8-9. However, this summer I'm working out a lot so I'm trying to sleep at least 9 hours a night going to sleep at the same exact time every night.

EDIT: During the school year I'm far sharper in the morning. Whenever I'm stuck on a problem at night doing homework, I usually solve it no problem in the morning.

Basically as long as I want, but usually 8 to 9. If I get 7 to 8, I take a nap during the day.

I have a strange schedule and my sleep patterns shift a lot depending on circumstances. I chose 6-7 but really my sleep hours will range from around 4 to 9 hours.

I need about 10 to 12 hours to feel my best; but I often stay awake for 20+ hours before I can even think about bed, even if I'm going on only 5 or 6 hours.

I definitely do my best work in the wee hours.

IwillBeGood said:
I think it will be harmful to your brain. But I also think it means nothing, as you are still around saying that to me.

These days ... five.

Isn't the amount of sleep one gets loosey dependent on age? I was pretty much unconscious between the ages of 13 - 21.

neu said:
Isn't the amount of sleep one gets loosey dependent on age? I was pretty much unconscious between the ages of 13 - 21.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/emotions/teenagers/sleep.shtml

'In America some schools have delayed the start of their classes to give their teenagers some extra time in bed. One school noticed a significant improvement in the educational performance of its students.'

It could be that teenagers are expected to be awake at the wrong times for their bodies as well.

neu said:

I agree, in high school i could sleep 10 hrs and then some. Now I can't even sleep more than 7 hrs even if party the night before.

I voted 8-9 but honestly it all depends.

Sometimes I get like 4. I just can't go back to sleep after 4, it used to drive me mad. Then other times I would sleep for 11-12 hours. I couldn't wake up no matter what. I would feel like crap even if I woke up after 8.

So weird.

These days its somewhat "regular". No matter when I go to sleep, I'll wake up at 8 am.

JasonRox said:
Basically as long as I want, but usually 8 to 9. If I get 7 to 8, I take a nap during the day.

can you give an age? don't have to be exact just range, like 20-25 or 25-30 years of age etc.

"How many hours a day?" or "How many hours a week?"

I'm on the short side of asymmetric transactional economics (empoyment). On the weekends, I catch up.

fuzzyfelt said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/emotions/teenagers/sleep.shtml

'In America some schools have delayed the start of their classes to give their teenagers some extra time in bed. One school noticed a significant improvement in the educational performance of its students.'

It could be that teenagers are expected to be awake at the wrong times for their bodies as well.

Interesting concession. It's sexual, you know. Late night proweling hours. How long as it been?

Ever since summer classes, at least once a week I get none. Then on the first night of the weekend I sleep for about 14 hours. It sux I know...will try to fix myself up soon. But I'd have to give an average...sometimes its 4, others its 6 maybe 8 and of course 0. So I'd just randomly choose and say 6 since that's the number that occurs most often since I've hit uni.

But a perfect night is 10 hours...8 hrs feels lacking for me =( but then again what does a good night's sleep for more than one night a week feel like again?

Yeah, college is a sleep sucker. I am finally done with my freshman finals week this Friday, and I'm starting to doubt that I still posses a circadian rhythm...lol.

Dr. HappyNuke said:
Yeah, college is a sleep sucker. I am finally done with my freshman finals week this Friday, and I'm starting to doubt that I still posses a circadian rhythm...lol.

oh yes I've said that many times. My circadian rhythm has been left to the play toy of dogs. If you plot "time of night vs. day of week, you'd come up with a scatter plot with a correlation of ~0.2 or less with a cluster around friday and midnight. =]

djeitnstine said:
oh yes I've said that many times. My circadian rhythm has been left to the play toy of dogs. If you plot "time of night vs. day of week, you'd come up with a scatter plot with a correlation of ~0.2 or less with a cluster around friday and midnight. =]

lol. So you're not a liberal arts major either, I take it? (-:

Dr. HappyNuke said:
lol. So you're not a liberal arts major either, I take it? (-:

Oh no, if I were a lib arts major I'd be partying 24/7. Engineering major I am.

Yeah I hear ya, man. The worst thing is when your lib. arts major friends are bragging about their 4.0 when you're pretty happy with your engineering 3-point-something. It's just not fair ><