Skiing: Calculating Speed and Friction Coefficient

• Thread starter st3dent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary: Great job! In summary, the skier starts from rest on a mountain at 850m and arrives at the top of a lower mountain at 750m with a speed of 44.27 m/s. In order to just arrive at the lower peak, the coefficient of friction must be less than or equal to 0.036.
st3dent
2. Two mountains are at elevations of 850m and 750m above the valley between them. A ski run extends from the top of the higher peak to the top of the lower one, with a total length of 3.2km and an average slope of 30 degrees,
a) A skier starts from rest on the higher peak. At what speed will be arrive at the top of the lower peak if he just coasts without using poles?
b)How large a coefficient of friction would be tolerable without preventing him from reaching the lower peak?

what I've done:
2a) (m)(9.8)(850) = (m)(9.8)(750) + (0.5)(m)([tex]vf^2[/tex])
[tex]vf^2[/tex] = 1960
[tex]vf[/tex] = 44.27 m/s

b)I am stuck on this one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• question1.jpg
    question1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the skier just arrives at the second peak with 0 velocity. How much energy must he/she have lost? Okay, now use "energy = force*distance" to calculate the friction force necessary to account for that energy loss.

(a) looks right, I didn't check your calculation but the formula is correct.

As for (b), let's write down the work-energy equation:

[tex]W_{friction} = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_p + \Delta E_k[/tex]

Our worst case scenario would be if the coefficient of friction would be so large, that the skier would reach the lower peak just barely - without any speed. In that case his kinetic energy would be 0 at first (since he starts from rest) and 0 at the end (since he has no speed when he reaches the peak):

[tex]W_f = (mgh_2 - mgh_1) + (0 - 0) = mg(750m - 850m) = -100mg[/tex]

Now what is the work of friction? It is the force of friction times the distance, which is 3.2km or 3,200 meters. Don't forget the work is negative, though, because the force vector is directly opposite to the distance vector all the time:

[tex]-xf_k = -3200f_k = -100mg[/tex]

[tex]f_k = N\mu _k = \frac{100mg}{3200} = \frac{mg}{32}[/tex]

[tex]\mu _k = \frac{mg}{32N}[/tex]

Now all you have to do is find the normal force, N...

I understand the following:

Since the change in kinetic energy is zero,
Ei = Ef
mgh1 = mgh2 + Ffrd
mgh1 - mgh2 = Ffrd
mg(750 - 850) = Ffrd

Since Ffrd = [tex]\mu _k[/tex]Fnd

Fnd = mg(750 - 850)
Fn = -100mg / d
Fn = -100mg/-3200
Fn = mg/32

AS;
Ek = 0.5mv2

In part a), i found the speed of the skier at the top of the second slope to be 44.27 m/s.
Then,
(m)(9.8)(850) = (m)(9.8)(750) + (0.5)(m)(v2)
(m)(9.8)(850) = (m)(9.8)(750) + (0.5)(m)(44.272)
However, i can't solve for m, since it cancels out.

I do know that the force down the slop is mgsin30 and that
Fn, the normal force, is mgcos30. But how can i use this to solve this problem?

Last edited:
I THINK I have a solution now.

Since Ffrd = mg / 32
and Ffr = [tex]\mu _k[/tex]mgcos30

then [tex]\mu _k[/tex]mgcos30 = mg/32
[tex]\mu _k[/tex] = mg/32mgcos30
[tex]\mu _k[/tex] = 1/32cos30
[tex]\mu _k[/tex] = 0.036

Is that the right answer...THANKS!

Yes, 0.036.

Related to Skiing: Calculating Speed and Friction Coefficient

1. How do you calculate speed while skiing?

The speed of a skier can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. For example, if a skier travels 100 meters in 10 seconds, their speed would be 10 meters per second.

2. What is friction coefficient in skiing?

The friction coefficient in skiing refers to the measure of resistance between the skis and the snow. It is affected by factors such as the type and condition of the snow, ski wax, and the angle of the slope. A higher friction coefficient means there is more resistance, resulting in slower speeds.

3. How does the weight of a skier affect their speed?

The weight of a skier can affect their speed in two ways. First, a heavier skier will experience greater friction due to their weight, resulting in slower speeds. On the other hand, a heavier skier will also have more momentum, allowing them to maintain their speed for longer periods.

4. What is the relationship between speed and slope angle in skiing?

The steeper the slope, the faster the skier will go. This is because the force of gravity is greater on steeper slopes, pulling the skier down at a faster rate. However, at a certain point, the friction coefficient will also increase, balancing out the effect of gravity and limiting the skier's speed.

5. How can I improve my speed while skiing?

To improve speed while skiing, the friction coefficient must be reduced. This can be achieved by using ski wax that is appropriate for the snow conditions and regularly maintaining the skis. Additionally, improving technique and body positioning can also help reduce resistance and increase speed.