Skier on a slope -- speed question

In summary, the question is asking for the speed at points C and D on a slope, given that the skier starts at rest and the only known information is the distance between the points and the acceleration due to gravity. The solution involves using energy conservation and assuming that there is no friction.
Nayu
3DACAF1D-D4EA-418B-BB01-FAB06D9AD5BC.jpeg
Question: Beginning at rest from the top of the slope, what is the speed at C and at D?

I don’t understand how to solve this question without being given the skier’s mass, acceleration, time or angle.
I drew a triangle vector diagram with delta d1 using the distances given. And i made gravity positive downwards where g=9.8 m/s^2.

Attachments

• 3DACAF1D-D4EA-418B-BB01-FAB06D9AD5BC.jpeg
    3DACAF1D-D4EA-418B-BB01-FAB06D9AD5BC.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 809
Physics news on Phys.org
Nayu said:
View attachment 238297 Question: Beginning at rest from the top of the slope, what is the speed at C and at D?

I don’t understand how to solve this question without being given the skier’s mass, acceleration, time or angle.
I drew a triangle vector diagram with delta d1 using the distances given. And i made gravity positive downwards where g=9.8 m/s^2.
Welcome to the PF.

Please do not delete the Template you are provided when starting a new schoolwork thread. It helps to organize your post to make it easier for us to help.

On your question, write down the relevant equations that relate the kinetic energy (KE) of the skier to their gravitational potential energy (PE). And how are KE and PE defined in terms of mass, speed, height, etc.?

Nayu said:
View attachment 238297 Question: Beginning at rest from the top of the slope, what is the speed at C and at D?

Ahoihoi @ PF!

For future questions regarding homewrk please use the homework template.

Neglecting the friction you are able to solve the task without any more information - just apply energy conservation. And yes, consider ##g=9.81\,m/s##.

EDIT: ##g=9.81\,m/s^2## of course ... Thanks @berkeman

Last edited:

1. What factors affect the speed of a skier on a slope?

The speed of a skier on a slope is affected by several factors including the steepness of the slope, the type and condition of the snow, the skier's body position and technique, and any external forces such as wind or obstacles on the slope.

2. How can a skier control their speed on a slope?

Skiers can control their speed on a slope by adjusting their body position, turning their skis to create friction and slow down, or using their ski poles as brakes. They can also choose different routes on the slope with varying degrees of steepness to control their speed.

3. Does the weight of a skier affect their speed on a slope?

Yes, the weight of a skier can affect their speed on a slope. Heavier skiers will have more momentum and may need to use more force to slow down, while lighter skiers may have less momentum and may need to use less force to control their speed.

4. Why do some skiers go faster than others on the same slope?

Skiers may go faster or slower than others on the same slope due to a combination of factors, including their skill level and technique, their equipment, and their body size and weight. Additionally, some skiers may simply have a preference for skiing at different speeds.

5. How can a skier measure their speed on a slope?

There are several ways a skier can measure their speed on a slope. They can use a GPS watch or app specifically designed for skiing, use a radar gun, or time themselves on a known distance. However, it's important to prioritize safety and not focus too much on speed while skiing.