Sketching the Periodic Extension of x(t) for y(t) with Ramp and Step Functions

In summary, the signal y(t) is formed as the periodic extension of x(t) with period 5, but apparently it's wrong and the right answer from the tutorial answers is shown in pic2.jpg. So could someone tell me what I have done wrong. Thanks.
ankyk91
I sketched the signal for y(t) and my answer is shown pic1.jpg
but apparently it's wrong and the right answer from the tutorial answers is shown in pic2.jpg. So could someone tell me what I have done wrong. Thanks

Homework Statement

Consider the signal
x(t) = r(t) u(2-t)
where r(t) is the ramp function and u(t) is the step function.
The signal y(t) is formed as the periodic extension of x(t) with period 5

a. Clearly sketch the signal y(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 421
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The flat "tooths" are obviously wrong. Try sketch the two signals r(t) and u(2-t) in the same diagram and see if that helps you spot where you went wrong. Notice that when you multiply a signal with the step function you get the original signal on the "one side" of the step and zero on the "zero side".

hey Filip!

thanks for the reply, i drew both the functions in the same graph (shown in pic3.jpg) but I still am not getting the peak like the answer.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 399
If you still get the same flat tooth I guess you wrongly must be taking the minimum of the signals, or something similar.

You need to multiply the two signals, that is, for each t multiply the value for r(t) with the value for u(2-t). For instance, at t = 1.5 you will have r(1.5) = 1.5 and u(2-1.5) = u(0.5) = 1, so x(1.5) = r(1.5)*u(2-1.5) = 1*1.5 = 1.5 (and not 1 as you had in your first figure).

And when you get your multiplication under control you should notice, like I mentioned before, that multiplication of a step function with another signal effectively means that the unit step "turns on" a signal in some region (namely where the argument to the step function is positive) and turns it off everywhere else (namely where the argument is negative).

Last edited:
ankyk91 said:
hey Filip!

thanks for the reply, i drew both the functions in the same graph (shown in pic3.jpg) but I still am not getting the peak like the answer.

There's no problems with that graph Ankyk. Now you just need to learn how to multiply by one.

Lets start with the ones times table

0 x 1 = 0
1 x 1 = 1
2 x 1 = 2
3 x 1 = 3
4 x 1 = 4

Keep practicing it, eventually you'll crack it :-p

Last edited:
O I get it now.

Sweet! Thank you guys. Really appreciate it =)

Related to Sketching the Periodic Extension of x(t) for y(t) with Ramp and Step Functions

1. What is the purpose of sketching an analog system?

Sketching an analog system allows for visual representation of a complex system, making it easier to understand and identify potential issues or improvements.

2. What are the key components that should be included in a sketch of an analog system?

The key components that should be included in a sketch of an analog system are the input and output signals, the processing elements, and the connections between them.

3. How detailed should a sketch of an analog system be?

The level of detail in a sketch of an analog system depends on its purpose. For basic understanding, a simple sketch with labeled components may suffice. For more in-depth analysis, a more detailed sketch with values and equations may be necessary.

4. Can a sketch of an analog system be used for troubleshooting?

Yes, a sketch of an analog system can be a useful tool for troubleshooting issues. By identifying the inputs, outputs, and connections, one can pinpoint where a problem may be occurring and make necessary adjustments.

5. Is there a specific method or technique for sketching an analog system?

There is no one specific method or technique for sketching an analog system. It can vary depending on the person's preference and the complexity of the system. However, it is important to ensure that all key components are accurately represented in the sketch.