Use convolution integral to find step response of a system

In summary, the problem involves finding the output of an electrical network with a unit-impulse response when a unit voltage step is applied after 0.25 seconds. The solution involves using the convolution integral and integration by parts to find the value of the output. The limits of the integral are -∞ to +∞, but can be simplified to 0 to t due to the properties of the unit step function.
TEEE

Homework Statement

An electrical network has the unit-impulse response :h(t)=3t⋅e-4t .If a unit voltage step is applied to the network, use the convolution integral to work out the value of the output after 0.25 seconds.

Homework Equations

Convolution integral: y(t)=f(t)*h(t)
Unit step function u(t) = 1 when t>=0, 0 when t<0

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a problem on the problem sheet of my circuit analysis course. The lecturer also gives a solution which is not complete:
v(τ)=∫0 1⋅3(τ-t)e(-4(τ-t)) dt
v(0.25) = 4.95×10-2V
I'm not sure how to proceed from the above equation to get the final answer. I have tried solving using convolution:y(t) =∫0h(τ)u(t-τ)dτ or y(t)=∫0u(τ)h(t-τ)dτ,but get something like 0 or -0.192. I guess I dealt with the u(τ) or u(t-τ) in the integral wrong as I'm not sure how to deal with it in an integral. I know that u(t) might affect the limit of the integral but I'm not sure how.(p.s.the∫ part above means integrate from ∞ to 0, if that causes any confusion)
Any help or advise would be really appreciated as I've been bothered by this for quite some time.Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##h(t) = 3t e^{-4t}## and ##u(t)## be the unit step function, then:

$$(h * u)(t) = \int_0^{\infty} h(x) u(t-x) \space dx = 3 \int_0^{0.25} x e^{-4x} \space dx$$

Integration by parts will yield the answer.

Zondrina said:
Let ##h(t) = 3t e^{-4t}## and ##u(t)## be the unit step function, then:

$$(h * u)(t) = \int_0^{\infty} h(x) u(t-x) \space dx = 3 \int_0^{0.25} x e^{-4x} \space dx$$

Integration by parts will yield the answer.
Thank you for your reply, it helped me find out where I went wrong in my approach to the solution. I changed the limit to infinity to 0.25 instead of 0.25 to 0 when evaluating (h*u)(t). Thanks again much appreciated.

Actually, the complete convolution integral limits are -∞ to +∞. But the lower limit changes to zero because your h(τ) = 0, τ < 0, and the upper limit changes to t since U(t-τ) = 0 for τ > t. So then v(t) = 3∫0t τ e-4τ
and you can let t = 0.25 for your particular problem after performing the definite integral.

Related to Use convolution integral to find step response of a system

1. What is a convolution integral?

A convolution integral is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is used to find the output of a system when given an input and the system's impulse response.

2. How is a convolution integral used to find the step response of a system?

The step response of a system is the output of the system when given a step input. To find this, the convolution integral is used to combine the step input with the system's impulse response to produce the step response.

3. What is the formula for a convolution integral?

The formula for a convolution integral is:
y(t) = ∫x(τ)h(t-τ)dτ
Where y(t) is the output, x(τ) is the input, h(t-τ) is the impulse response, and τ is the variable of integration.

4. Can a convolution integral be used for any type of system?

Yes, a convolution integral can be used for any type of system, as long as the system's impulse response is known. It is commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and electrical engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using a convolution integral to find the step response of a system?

One limitation is that it can only be used for linear time-invariant (LTI) systems. Additionally, the input and impulse response must be known and well-behaved, and the integral may become complex and difficult to solve for more complex systems.