Sketching the Level Surface of a Scalar Field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the level surface of the scalar field \Phi = x^{2} + y^{2} - z^{2} -1, with the advice to use cylindrical polar coordinates and the equation \Phi = 0 to find z as a function of the radial coordinate \rho. However, the speaker is unsure of how to use this information to construct the sketch and wonders if they have misunderstood the representation of the scalar field. Another person suggests ignoring the hint and graphing the surface using a few traces, and also explains the meaning of the scalar field as representing temperature at a point in space.
Insolite
Question: For the scalar field [itex]\Phi = x^{2} + y^{2} - z^{2} -1[/itex], sketch the level surface [itex] \Phi = 0 [/itex]. (It's advised that in order to sketch the surface, [itex]\Phi[/itex] should be written in cylindrical polar coordinates, and then to use [itex]\Phi = 0[/itex] to find [itex] z [/itex] as a function of the radial coordinate [itex]\rho[/itex]).

I've done as advised, and have found:

[itex] \Phi = \rho^{2}cos^{2}(\phi) + \rho^{2}sin^{2}(\phi) - z^{2} - 1 [/itex]

and therefore

[itex] z = \sqrt{\rho^{2} - 1} [/itex]

However, i don't actually know how this is supposed to enable me to construct the sketch. My instinct was to rewrite the expression for [itex]\Phi[/itex] in Cartesian coordinate form as [itex] z(x,y) [/itex] i.e. [itex] z = \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} - 1} [/itex], and to plot this using a suitable program. I think i must have a deep misunderstanding of what the scalar field expression actually represents.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Insolite said:
Question: For the scalar field [itex]\Phi = x^{2} + y^{2} - z^{2} -1[/itex], sketch the level surface [itex] \Phi = 0 [/itex]. (It's advised that in order to sketch the surface, [itex]\Phi[/itex] should be written in cylindrical polar coordinates, and then to use [itex]\Phi = 0[/itex] to find [itex] z [/itex] as a function of the radial coordinate [itex]\rho[/itex]).

I've done as advised, and have found:

[itex] \Phi = \rho^{2}cos^{2}(\phi) + \rho^{2}sin^{2}(\phi) - z^{2} - 1 [/itex]

and therefore

[itex] z = \sqrt{\rho^{2} - 1} [/itex]

However, i don't actually know how this is supposed to enable me to construct the sketch. My instinct was to rewrite the expression for [itex]\Phi[/itex] in Cartesian coordinate form as [itex] z(x,y) [/itex] i.e. [itex] z = \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} - 1} [/itex], and to plot this using a suitable program. I think i must have a deep misunderstanding of what the scalar field expression actually represents.

Any advise would be appreciated.

If I were plotting this, I would ignore that hint. You are asked to graph the surface ##x^2+y^2-z^2=1##. I would just plot a few traces, beginning with the coordinate planes. What is the curve in the ##xy## plane (##z=0##)? The ##xz## plane (##y=0##)? The ##yz## plane (##x=0##)? If that doesn't give you an idea of the shape, add a few traces for ##z = \pm c## for a few constants.

[Edit - Added]: In both of your equations with a square root, you should have ##z=\pm\sqrt{...}##. The surface is symmetric in ##z##. Also, with respect to what the scalar field represents, think of ##\Phi(x,y,z)## as representing the temperature at ##(x,y,z)##. The level surface ##\Phi = 0## represents the surface in space where the temperature is ##0##.

Last edited:

Related to Sketching the Level Surface of a Scalar Field

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept used to describe a value at every point in a space. It can be visualized as a surface or a graph where each point on the surface represents a specific numerical value. Examples of scalar fields include temperature, pressure, and elevation.

2. Why is it important to sketch the level surface of a scalar field?

Sketching the level surface of a scalar field helps visualize the distribution of the field and understand its patterns and variations. It also provides insights into the behavior of the field and can be used to make predictions or identify areas of interest.

3. How do you sketch the level surface of a scalar field?

To sketch the level surface of a scalar field, you need to plot points on the surface where the field has the same value. These points are connected to create a continuous surface. The surface can be further refined by adding more points and curves to show variations in the field.

4. What are some tools or techniques to help with sketching the level surface?

Some helpful tools for sketching the level surface of a scalar field include graph paper, 3D graphing software, and contour mapping. Techniques such as interpolation, extrapolation, and curve fitting can also aid in creating a more accurate and detailed representation of the field.

5. How is the level surface of a scalar field related to its gradient?

The gradient of a scalar field represents the direction and magnitude of its maximum rate of change. The level surface of a scalar field is perpendicular to its gradient, meaning that the gradient points in the direction where the surface increases the most. This relationship can be used to determine the shape and direction of the level surface at a specific point.