Sketching Surfaces: Sphere, Circle & More

• Thread starter sheepcountme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the conversation discusses various surfaces and how to sketch them. The first two are a sphere with a radius of 4 and a circle with a radius of 3, respectively. The third surface is a circular cylinder, and the fourth and fifth have parabolic traces in the z-x and z-y planes, with a circular trace in the z = 4 plane. The conversation also suggests drawing traces in different coordinate planes to get a better understanding of the surfaces.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

I'm also having trouble with these:

provide the names and sketch the following surfaces:
x2+y2+z2=16
x2+y2=9
x2+2y2+4z2=16
z=-√(9-x2-y2)
z=√x2+y2
z=x2+y2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first one it's a sphere with radius of 4, yes? And the second is a circle with radius three. These seem fairly obvious but I'm not sure how to go about visualizing the rest...is this something I just need to pick up on or is there a method I should be using?

Physics news on Phys.org
once again taking cuts is good

for 3) this looks like a sphere squashed along certain axes

take z=0, this give
x^2+2y2=16
at y=0, x=4
at x=0, y=2sqrt(2)

which is an oval, once again try sketching it

sheepcountme said:

Homework Statement

I'm also having trouble with these:

provide the names and sketch the following surfaces:
x2+y2+z2=16
x2+y2=9
x2+2y2+4z2=16
z=-√(9-x2-y2)
z=√x2+y2
z=x2+y2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first one it's a sphere with radius of 4, yes? And the second is a circle with radius three.
A circle isn't a surface. The trace of this surface in the xy plane is a circle. In fact in the plane z = any constant its trace is a circle. So the surface itself is a circular cylinder. This is typical of equations that have a missing variable. The trace projects itself in the direction of the missing variable.
These seem fairly obvious but I'm not sure how to go about visualizing the rest...is this something I just need to pick up on or is there a method I should be using?

Often all you need to do is draw the traces in the coordinate planes and sometimes one or two other planes to get an idea what the surface looks like. For example, for your last one the traces in the z-x and z-y planes are parabolas and the trace in the z = 4 plane is a circle. So...

good points

Related to Sketching Surfaces: Sphere, Circle & More

1. What is the difference between a sphere and a circle?

A sphere is a three-dimensional solid shape that is round and has no corners or edges. It is a perfectly symmetrical object that looks the same from any angle. A circle, on the other hand, is a two-dimensional shape that is round and has a fixed radius. It is a flat shape that lies on a plane.

2. How do I sketch a sphere?

To sketch a sphere, start by drawing a circle. Then, use shading techniques to create a sense of depth and roundness. Add highlights and shadows to give the sphere a three-dimensional appearance. Be sure to pay attention to the direction of the light source to make the sketch look more realistic.

3. Can I use different methods to sketch a circle?

Yes, there are several methods for sketching a circle. One method is to use a compass to draw a perfect circle. Another method is to draw two intersecting lines that create a right angle, then use the midpoint of each line as the center point for the circle. You can also use a circular object as a stencil to trace a circle.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching surfaces?

One common mistake is not paying attention to the proportions and angles of the surface. This can result in a skewed or distorted sketch. Another mistake is not using the correct shading techniques, which can make the sketch look flat and unrealistic. It's also important to practice and have patience when sketching surfaces, as it takes time to develop the necessary skills.

5. Are there any tips for sketching more complex surfaces?

When sketching more complex surfaces, it's important to break down the object into basic shapes and then build upon them. This will help you understand the structure and proportions of the object. It's also helpful to use reference images or real-life objects for inspiration. Lastly, don't be afraid to make mistakes and experiment with different techniques to find what works best for you.