Sketching Solids: Overcome Inequalities & Cosecant

• Thread starter kidzonety
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solids
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of sketching regions and solids, specifically one solid described by inequalities in spherical coordinates. The speaker is struggling to interpret the cosecant part and asks for clarification. The other person suggests looking at the graph of r = csc(t) in polar coordinates for a better understanding. They also mention that changing to a different coordinate system may provide insight, such as the surface of the solid being described by ρ = csc(φ) in this case. They then ask if the solid given by r ≤ 1 with ρ ≤ 2 can be described.
kidzonety
I always have trouble sketching regions and solids.
For example, if one solid described by the inequialities (in spherical coordinates) where ρ <=2, and ρ <= csc(φ)
I don't get how to interpret the cosecant part. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What surface is described by [itex]\rho = \csc\varphi[/itex]? This is part of the boundary of the region described.
If you are unfamiliar with the geometry of cosecant, have a look at the picture on the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosecant#Reciprocal_functions and try graphing r = csc(t) in polar coordinates (r, t) first. It is a very simple graph.

kidzonety said:
I always have trouble sketching regions and solids.
For example, if one solid described by the inequialities (in spherical coordinates) where ρ <=2, and ρ <= csc(φ)
I don't get how to interpret the cosecant part. Thanks.

Sometimes changing to coordinate system gives insight. Here the surface of the solid is ρ = csc(φ). If r is usual the cylindrical coordinate you have ρ = ρ/r or r = 1. Can you describe the solid given by r ≤ 1 with ρ ≤ 2?

Related to Sketching Solids: Overcome Inequalities & Cosecant

1. What is sketching solids?

Sketching solids is a process of visualizing 3-dimensional objects on a 2-dimensional surface, usually on a piece of paper or a computer screen. It involves creating a 2-dimensional representation of a solid object by drawing its visible surfaces, edges, and vertices.

2. How can sketching solids help overcome inequalities?

Sketching solids can help overcome inequalities by providing a visual representation of the relationships between different parts of a solid object. By sketching a solid, we can easily identify any unequal lengths, angles, or sizes, and make adjustments accordingly.

3. What is the role of cosecant in sketching solids?

Cosecant is a trigonometric function that is used to calculate the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle. In sketching solids, cosecant is used to determine the length of the diagonal edges of a solid object, which is important for accurately representing the object in 2 dimensions.

4. Do I need any special tools to sketch solids?

No, you do not need any special tools to sketch solids. A pencil, ruler, and eraser are usually enough to create a basic sketch. However, for more complex objects, you may need additional tools such as a protractor, compass, or drafting software.

5. Can sketching solids be used in fields other than mathematics?

Yes, sketching solids can be used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and design. It is a useful skill for creating accurate and detailed representations of 3-dimensional objects, which is important in these fields for planning and visualizing projects.