Sketching Multiple Variables: How to Represent 3-Dimensional Surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses two separate mathematical problems: sketching the equations f(x,y)=x+(y^2) and f(x,y)=sq rt (4-(x^2)-(y^2)). The speaker is unsure how to begin and asks for help in understanding how to represent a 3-dimensional surface in a 2-dimensional sketch. The proposed solutions include using slices of constant y or constant x to show systematic trends, and potentially using dots to indicate points where two curves intersect.
stau40

Homework Statement

Two separate problems:
1. Sketch f(x,y)=x+(y^2)
2. Sketch f(x,y)=sq rt (4-(x^2)-(y^2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to begin with sketching these two equations. In the first problem I can't find an example without a real number in the equation (all examples are similar to z=9-x^2-y^2) so I'm not sure how to begin. In the second example I realize the numbers in the sq rt need to be >=0, but I'm still not sure how to proceed and the most examples only show domain sketching. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The specific examples are mathematical, the general problem of how best to represent a 3-dimensional surface is maybe artistic.

You can do it by a series of slices thro the surface, e.g. slices of constant y. You seem to know how to do it for one y, e.g. y=0, y = something else and y = a few other numbers. Get what are the systematic trends.

You could also do it for a series of constant x and get a sort of net in a shape. Maybe put dots for where two curves are actually crossing to avoid confusing the eye.

Related to Sketching Multiple Variables: How to Represent 3-Dimensional Surfaces?

1. What is sketching multiple variables?

Sketching multiple variables is a technique used in scientific research to visually represent the relationships between two or more variables. This can be done through the use of graphs, charts, or diagrams.

2. Why is sketching multiple variables important?

Sketching multiple variables allows scientists to identify patterns and trends in data, which can help them make connections and draw conclusions about their research. It also makes complex data easier to understand and communicate to others.

3. What types of data can be represented through sketching multiple variables?

Any type of data that can be measured and compared can be represented through sketching multiple variables. This includes numerical data such as quantities, percentages, and averages, as well as categorical data such as types or categories.

4. What are some common types of graphs used in sketching multiple variables?

Some common types of graphs used in sketching multiple variables include scatter plots, line graphs, bar graphs, and pie charts. The type of graph chosen depends on the type of data being represented and the purpose of the visualization.

5. How can sketching multiple variables be used in scientific research?

Sketching multiple variables can be used in various stages of scientific research. It can be used to analyze and interpret data, identify relationships and patterns, and communicate findings to others. It can also be used to generate hypotheses and design experiments.