Sketching Antiderivatives: Tips and Links for Quick Refresh

In summary, the conversation is about finding the antiderivative of a graph of a line without knowing the function. The conversation discusses the relationship between the derivative and the antiderivative, the critical points, and the type of function that is the integral of a line. The final answer is determined to be a function of x^4 with concavity changing at x = 1 and x = 2.
swears
Wow, I totally forgot how to do these.

I have a graph of a line, but it does not say the function. I have to sketch the antiderivative.

Does anyone have any links or advice to start me out.

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the derivative dy/dx is the change in the y value per change in the x value. So the derivitave at a point is basically the slope of the line.

Now turn that reasoning around to figure out the antiderivative. If you have a plot of the slope of the line at all points, then you can figure out what the original function's line looked like. Quiz question -- what other thing do you have to add into the final antiderivative answer to make it correct?

Yeah, I can do the derivative if I see the graph. I just can't visualize that backwards in my head.

These are the values I'm dealing with: f'(x)| 0 | 1 | 0 | -1 | 0
............x |-1 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3

What kind of function is the integral of a line? A parabola right. Well, were is the vertex of that parabola? You should think about what a critical point is. Maybe the first derivative test. Does any of this help?

It is going up until x=0, then goes down. It is concave down there.

The at x = 1 it change to concave up and at x = 2 it starts increasing.

So, I guess the critical points are x = 0, 1, 2

A critical point is where f'(x) = 0. If I am reading your notation right, then the critical points are x = -1, 1, 3. So if there are 3 critical points, then the [EDIT]antiderivative should be a function of [tex]x^4[/tex]. What does this kind of function look like?

Last edited:
Well actually, f'(x) is only 0 at x= 0 and 2, but it switches concavity at 1, so I figured that would be one too. (guess not)

x^4, yeah I believe so, I don't have a calculator to confirm(working on it), but it has two parabolas in it.(1 upside down).

Last edited:
Oh, Sorry, I had some trouble reading your points. Sounds like you are on the right track though.

Related to Sketching Antiderivatives: Tips and Links for Quick Refresh

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the reverse of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, yields the original function.

2. Why is sketching antiderivatives useful?

Sketching antiderivatives is useful in understanding the behavior of a function and its relationship to its derivative. It can also be used to solve problems involving the area under a curve.

3. What are some tips for quickly sketching antiderivatives?

Some tips for quickly sketching antiderivatives include identifying the power rule, recognizing common antiderivatives, and using the properties of derivatives to simplify the function.

4. Are there any useful resources for learning about antiderivatives?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about antiderivatives, including tutorials, practice problems, and videos. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. Can antiderivatives be used in real-world applications?

Yes, antiderivatives have many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object given its velocity function, finding the volume of a solid with a known cross-sectional area, and determining the rate of change of a quantity over time.