Sketch the Curve - Find Vertical & Horizontal Asymptotes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the curve of y=x/(x-1)^2 using curve sketching guidelines. The speaker mentions having difficulty with asymptotes, specifically a vertical asymptote at x=1 and a horizontal asymptote at y=0. The conversation then goes on to discuss how to mathematically show the function approaching the x-axis as x goes to negative infinity, and how the function is negative for all negative values of x. The summary concludes with the speaker expressing understanding and thanking for help.
scorpa
Hi guys,

I know this is a dumb question, but I have to ask. We are supposed to sketch the curve of y=x/(x-1)^2 using the guidelines for curve sketching such as domain, intervals of increase/decrease, concavity...ect. For the most part on this question I think I have done this all right, it really isn't all that hard. But for some reason my asymptotes are a bit messed up.

I know there is a vertical asymptote occurring at x=1, because having an x value of one makes the denominator undefined. Then to find the horizontal asymptoes I expanded the denominator to get
y = x/(x^2 -2x+1), then I found the horizontal denominator (limit as it approaches infinity) by taking an x^2 out of the whole thing, leaving me with a horizontal asymptote at y=0, which for the right half of the curve is true. But the left half of the curve does cross the axis at (0,0). How do I account for the fact that there is not a horizontal tangent at y=0 on the left side of the graph? I hope I explained my situation clearly. Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The function approaches the x-axis from below as x goes to negative infinity.

OK, I get the statement you just made. But how would I go about showing that mathematically?

For x < 0, the function is negative and there are no other zeros of the function.

Ok so because I have found that there is a horizontal asymptote at x=0 I can say that as x approaches both infinity and negative infinity the graph approaches but never reaches zero, except for the intercept at (0,0) ?

Well, there's a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 and not at x = 0 and since the function is negative for all negative values of x so the graph approaches the asymptote from below for negative x but from above for positive x.

Ok I think I got it now, thanks

Related to Sketch the Curve - Find Vertical & Horizontal Asymptotes

1. What is the purpose of sketching a curve?

Sketching a curve helps visualize the behavior of a function and understand its key features, such as the shape, direction, and intercepts. It also allows us to identify any important points on the curve, such as asymptotes.

2. What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph that the curve approaches but never touches. It occurs when the denominator of a rational function is equal to zero, resulting in an undefined value.

3. How do you find the vertical asymptotes of a curve?

To find the vertical asymptotes of a curve, set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values are the x-coordinates of the vertical asymptotes.

4. What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a horizontal line that the curve approaches but never touches. It occurs when the degree of the numerator and denominator of a rational function are equal. The value of the horizontal asymptote can be found by dividing the leading coefficients of the numerator and denominator.

5. How do you find the horizontal asymptote of a curve?

To find the horizontal asymptote of a curve, compare the degrees of the numerator and denominator of the rational function. If they are equal, divide the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the denominator, there is no horizontal asymptote. If the degree of the denominator is greater, the horizontal asymptote is at y=0.