Sketch Graph of f(x): Find Inflection Points

I hope this helps!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inflection points for the function f(x) = (x^2)/((x-2)^2) and the trouble the person is having with factoring f''(x) to find these points. The expert suggests simplifying the first derivative before taking the derivative again to make finding the inflection points easier.
sdoug041

Homework Statement

Sketch graph of f(x)= (x^2)/((x-2)^2). I have retrieved the first derivative, found the critical points, and also have the vertical asymptote. I seem to be having trouble trying to find the inflection points... I can't seem to find a nicely factored f''(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I have f''(x)= [ (x-2)^3 ] (-8) [ (3x^2) + x + 2 ] / [(x-2)^8]

I can't factor the 3x^2+x+2 to be able to find where f''(x)=0 and thus revealing the inflection points :(. Help? thankyou...

Physics news on Phys.org
sdoug041 said:

Homework Statement

Sketch graph of f(x)= (x^2)/((x-2)^2). I have retrieved the first derivative, found the critical points, and also have the vertical asymptote. I seem to be having trouble trying to find the inflection points... I can't seem to find a nicely factored f''(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I have f''(x)= [ (x-2)^3 ] (-8) [ (3x^2) + x + 2 ] / [(x-2)^8]

I can't factor the 3x^2+x+2 to be able to find where f''(x)=0 and thus revealing the inflection points :(. Help? thankyou...
For problems like these, it's more efficient to get the derivative in its simplest form before you take the derivative again.

For your function, I found this for f'(x):
[tex]f'(x)~=~\frac{2x(x - 2)^2 - 2x^2(x - 2)}{(x - 2)^4}[/tex]
By finding common factors in the numerator, I was able to simplify it in this way
[tex]f'(x)~=~\frac{2x(x - 2)(x - 2 - x)}{(x - 2)^4}~=~ \frac{-4x}{(x - 2)^3}[/tex]

From there, differentiating to get f''(x) is pretty straightforward.

Related to Sketch Graph of f(x): Find Inflection Points

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the concavity changes, going from concave up to concave down or vice versa. It is also the point where the curvature of the curve changes.

2. How do I find inflection points on a sketch graph?

To find inflection points on a sketch graph, you need to look for points where the curve changes from being curved upwards to downwards or vice versa. You can also calculate the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero to find the x-values of the inflection points.

3. Why are inflection points important?

Inflection points are important because they can help us determine the behavior of a function. They can also help us identify key points on a curve, such as maximum and minimum points.

4. Are there any specific methods for finding inflection points?

Yes, there are specific methods for finding inflection points such as the second derivative test and the concavity test. These methods involve finding the second derivative of the function and analyzing its sign changes to determine the inflection points.

5. Can a function have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a function can have multiple inflection points. In fact, a function can have an infinite number of inflection points depending on its degree and complexity. It is important to analyze the entire curve to identify all inflection points.