Sketch contours for f(x,y)=y^2+2x^2-x^4

• Thread starter mrchartreuse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, the problem is to sketch the contour diagram of the function f(x,y)=y^2 +2x^2 −x^4, by drawing the contours f = −2, −1, 0, 1 , 1, 2. This can be done by plotting the graphs of y = ± sqrt(C - 2x^2+x^4) for each value of C. It may be helpful to write the function in the form y = \pm \sqrt{(x^2-1)^2+k} and consider the cases where k>0 and k<0 separately.
mrchartreuse
The problem is:
. Let f : R^2 → R be given by f(x,y)=y^2 +2x^2 −x^4.
Sketch the contour diagram of f by drawing the contours f = −2, −1, 0, 1 , 1, 2.

I have started with the f = -1 line and managed to get it into a form resembling a hyperbola:

1 = (x^2-1)^2/2 - y^2/2

Is this the right sort of approach? And if so how would i sketch this with the x^2 where the x usually is?

I was thinking of trying to sketch it with all the values along the x-axis square rooted or something so it would look like a sort of squashed hyperbola but since a square root has two possible answers I don't think this is correct... Then there are all the other scary f values...

Physics news on Phys.org
For each value of C you can write

y2+2x2-x4=C

y = ± sqrt(C - 2x2+x4)

Presumably you have a graphing calculator. For each C plot both the + and - graphs on the same picture. You are right that some of the contours sort of look like hyperbolas, but not all of them do. If you let x go from -2 to 2 you should get good pictures.

Sigh, if only it were that easy. We are supposed to do them all by hand...

mrchartreuse said:
Sigh, if only it were that easy. We are supposed to do them all by hand...

What can I say? I think graphing calculators are relied on too much in some of the basic math courses, but here we have an instance where a graphing calculator or computer is exactly the proper tool. Does your teacher expect you to calculate the square roots by hand? I wouldn't waste my time plotting those by hand unless I really had nothing better to do with my time.

You should be able to see the contour plot will be symmetric about the y-axis. It also only has even powers of x, so it'll be symmetric about the x-axis. So really, all you have to do is figure out one quadrant.

Also, the case where C=1 is easy enough to do. :)

It might help to write the function as [itex]y = \pm \sqrt{(x^2-1)^2+k}[/itex]. If k>0, the function is defined for all x. But if k<0, you have to be a bit more careful because the quantity under the radical will be negative for some values of x.

Related to Sketch contours for f(x,y)=y^2+2x^2-x^4

1. What is a sketch contour?

A sketch contour is a graphical representation of a function in two or more variables. It shows the points where the function has a constant value, creating a contour map or surface.

2. How do you sketch contours for a function?

To sketch contours for a function, you can follow these steps:
1. Choose a range of values for each variable.
2. Substitute the values into the function to calculate the corresponding output.
3. Plot the points on a graph and connect them to create a contour map or surface.

3. What does f(x,y)=y^2+2x^2-x^4 represent?

This function represents a paraboloid with its vertex at the origin. It has a saddle point at (0,0) and its contours are symmetric about the x and y axes.

4. How can you determine the maximum and minimum values of this function?

To determine the maximum and minimum values of this function, you can use the second derivative test. Take the second partial derivatives with respect to x and y and evaluate them at the critical points. If the resulting matrix has a positive determinant and the second partial derivative with respect to x is negative, then the point represents a local maximum. If the determinant is negative and the second partial derivative with respect to x is positive, then the point represents a local minimum.

5. Can you determine the exact coordinates of the maximum and minimum points?

No, we cannot determine the exact coordinates of the maximum and minimum points without knowing the specific values of x and y. The second derivative test only tells us whether the critical points represent local maximum or minimum values, but it does not provide the exact coordinates.