Sketch Cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D Space + Vector Calc

In summary: For z=0 we have x^2+y^2=0, which is a circle of radius zero, i.e. just a point at the origin.For z=1 we have x^2+y^2=1, which is a circle of radius 1 at height z=1.For z=-1 we have x^2+y^2=1, which is again a circle of radius 1, this time at a height z=-1.For z=2 we have x^2+y^2=4, which is a circle of radius 2 at height z=2.For z=-2 we have x^2+y^2
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Sketch the cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space.

Let (x0,y0,z0)≠(0,0,0) be a point on the given cone. By expressing the fiven equation of the cone in the form f(x,y,z)=a, find a normal vector tot he cone at point (x0,y0,z0)

Find the equation of the tangent plane to the cone at point(x0,y0,z0)

Show that every plane that is a tangent to the cone passes through the origin

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{n} =grad(f) \ at \ (x_0,y_0,z_0) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do part 2 and 3.

[tex]\hat{n}= 2x_0 \hat{i} +2y_0 \hat{j} -2z_0 \hat{k}[/tex]

and then tangent plane is

2x0(x-x0)+2y0(y-y0)-2z0(z-z0)=0

so if it passes through the origin x=0,y=0 and z=0, which leaves me with

[tex]x_0 ^{2}+y_0 ^{2}-z_0 ^{2}=0[/tex]

But since (x0,y0,z0)≠(0,0,0), then doesn't this mean that it does not pass through the origin?

Also, how do I sketch a curve in 3D? Do I just randomly plug in values of (x,y,z) and plot or is there some method in doing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
so if it passes through the origin x=0,y=0 and z=0, which leaves me with

[tex]x_0 ^{2}+y_0 ^{2}-z_0 ^{2}=0[/tex]

But since (x0,y0,z0)≠(0,0,0), then doesn't this mean that it does not pass through the origin?

Remember, the point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] lies on the cone, so [itex]z_0^2=x_0^2+y_0^2[/itex].

Also, how do I sketch a curve in 3D? Do I just randomly plug in values of (x,y,z) and plot or is there some method in doing it?

I would plug a few different values of [itex]z[/itex] into the equation of the cone, and sketch the resulting curve at that height (value of [itex]z[/itex]), it should become clear pretty quickly what the cone looks like.

gabbagabbahey said:
Remember, the point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] lies on the cone, so [itex]z_0^2=x_0^2+y_0^2[/itex].

thanks
gabbagabbahey said:
I would plug a few different values of [itex]z[/itex] into the equation of the cone, and sketch the resulting curve at that height (value of [itex]z[/itex]), it should become clear pretty quickly what the cone looks like.

But I don't get how I would know what it looks like :confused:

on the yz plane z2=y2 which means y=±z. How does the curve have two straight line portions ?EDIT: yeah this is the first time I've done these things and the person teaching this to me is a bit...hard to talk to, so I can't ask.

rock.freak667;2356855 But I don't get how I would know what it looks like :confused: on the yz plane z[SUP said:
2[/SUP]=y2 which means y=±z. How does the curve have two straight line portions ?

Well, let's see...

For [itex]z=0[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=0[/itex], which is a circle of radius zero, i.e. just a point at the origin.

For [itex]z=1[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex], which is a circle of radius 1 at height [itex]z=1[/itex].

For [itex]z=-1[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex], which is again a circle of radius 1, this time at a height [itex]z=-1[/itex].

For [itex]z=2[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex], which is a circle of radius 2 at height [itex]z=2[/itex].

For [itex]z=-2[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex], which is again a circle of radius 2, this time at a height [itex]z=-2[/itex].

As you get further and further away from z=0, in either direction, the circles get larger and larger...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1341/cone2t.th.jpg

You should see clearly now why there are two lines (in the shape of an X) in the yz plane.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh I see now, so the best thing to do is to try to vary one variable and see what shape is formed by the x and y ( a circle in this case with increasing radius)?

Sketching on paper is going to be a bit odd

thanks!

Related to Sketch Cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D Space + Vector Calc

1. What is the equation for the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space?

The equation for the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space is a quadratic equation that represents a cone shape in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is also known as a circular cone, as the cross-sections of the cone are circles with a common center.

2. How is the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space different from a regular cone?

The sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space is different from a regular cone because it is a mathematical representation of a cone, not a physical object. It does not have a base or a vertex, and it extends infinitely in all directions. It is a useful tool in visualizing and understanding the properties of real-life cones.

3. What is the significance of using vector calculus in the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space?

Vector calculus is used in the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space to calculate the gradient, divergence, and curl of the cone's vector field. These calculations provide important information about the behavior of the cone's surface, such as the direction and magnitude of its slope and the rate of change of its vector field.

4. How can the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space be used in real-life applications?

The sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space can be used in various real-life applications, such as creating 3D models in computer graphics, analyzing electromagnetic fields in physics, and understanding the behavior of fluids in engineering. It is also used in optimization problems to find the minimum or maximum values of a function within the cone's boundaries.

5. Are there any limitations to using the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space?

One limitation of using the sketch cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space is that it assumes a perfect cone shape, without any irregularities or variations in its surface. In reality, most cones are not perfectly symmetrical, and their surfaces may be distorted or uneven. Additionally, the cone's equation does not account for external forces or environmental factors that may affect its behavior.