Sizing of a hyperbolic cooling tower

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance in estimating the height and diameter of a cooling tower based on their water requirements and cooling duty. They believe an hyperbolic tower with a natural draft would be the best choice. They also mention the water temperatures and wet bulb T. Additionally, they inquire about the normal turndown rates for this type of tower and whether it would be beneficial to consider multiple towers based on their project life and capacity needs. They also mention the relative humidity of 82%.
Iron_Woman
Hello. I need to estimate height and diameter of a cooling tower. My water requirements are 50000 m3/h, for a cooling duty of about 730 000 000 kcal/h. For this capacity, I thought that an hyperbolic tower, natural draft, would be the best choice. Am I right?

Water temperatures in-out would be 50ºC-35ºC. My wet bulb T is 28ºC.

A second question: this capacity is the maximum I will need for my project life. Which are normal turndown rates for this kind of tower? Is it worth thinking on 2-3 towers considering the time vs capacity required curve?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I forgot mentioning that there is a 82% of relative humidity (average value)

Related to Sizing of a hyperbolic cooling tower

1. What is the purpose of sizing a hyperbolic cooling tower?

The purpose of sizing a hyperbolic cooling tower is to determine the appropriate dimensions and capacity of the tower in order to efficiently cool a specific volume of water. It is an important step in the design and construction of a cooling tower to ensure it can effectively meet the cooling needs of a facility or system.

2. How do you determine the size of a hyperbolic cooling tower?

The size of a hyperbolic cooling tower is determined by factors such as the heat load, flow rate, water temperature, and desired cooling range. These parameters are used in calculations to determine the appropriate tower size, including the height, diameter, and air flow rate.

3. What factors affect the sizing of a hyperbolic cooling tower?

The main factors that affect the sizing of a hyperbolic cooling tower include the heat load, flow rate, water temperature, and desired cooling range. Other factors that may impact the size of the tower include environmental conditions, such as humidity and wind speed, as well as the type of cooling system being used.

4. What is the difference between a large and small hyperbolic cooling tower?

The main difference between a large and small hyperbolic cooling tower is the capacity and cooling range. A larger tower will have a greater capacity and can cool larger volumes of water, while a smaller tower is suitable for smaller systems. Additionally, a larger tower will typically have a higher fan speed and air flow rate to accommodate the higher heat load.

5. Are there any industry standards for sizing hyperbolic cooling towers?

Yes, there are industry standards for sizing hyperbolic cooling towers, which are typically based on the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Power Test Code PTC 23-2014. This code provides guidelines and procedures for determining the performance and efficiency of cooling towers, including sizing calculations.