Six easy physics problems (I have the answers, just need instructions.)

In summary: But others may have an interest in this thread.In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with 6 physics problems they were struggling with. They provided the answers but were unsure of how to solve them. They mentioned trying various methods and working the problems backwards, but were still confused. The conversation ended with someone else attempting to help by asking about the specific steps the student took for one of the problems.
nothing4me
I have a test in a day and I basically know almost everything. We were handed out a packet of about 50 questions for practice. I've gotten everything but these 6 problems.
I have the answers, but I'm clueless on how to get them. I have an A average in Physics AP and would like to keep that, haha. Could anyone help me figure these problems out? (Instructions) Thanks!

1. In space, a 70.0-kg astronaut pushes to the left on a spacecraft with a force R. The spacecraft has a total mass of 1.0 x 10^4 kg. During the push, the astronaut accelerates to the right with an acceleration of 0.36 m/s2. Determine the magnitude of the acceleration of the spacecraft . [Answer: 2.5 x 10^-3 m/s2]

2. A muscle builder holds the ends of a massless rope. At the center of the rope, a 15-kg ball is hung. What is the tension in the rope if both angles θ are 4.5°. (The angles are under, respecting the horizontal line.) [Answer: 940N]

3. If the coefficient of kinetic friction, μk, between a block and the surface is .30 and the magnitude of the frictional force is 80N, what is the weight of the block? [Answer: 4.0]

4. A 250-N force is directed horizontally to push a 29-kg box up an inclined plane (27 degrees respect to the horizontal) at a constant speed. Determine the magnitude of the normal force, FN, and the coefficient of kinetic friction, µk. [Answer: 370N and .26]

5. A 2.0-N rock slides on a frictionless inclined plane. Which one of the following statements is true concerning the normal force that the plane exerts on the rock?
A) The normal force is zero Newtons.
B) The normal force is 2.0 N.
C) The normal force is greater than 2.0 N.
D) It increases as the angle of inclination, q, is increased.
E) The normal force is less than 2.0 N, but greater than zero Newtons. [Answer: E]

6. Two forces act on a 4.5-kg block resting on a frictionless surface as shown. What is the magnitude of the horizontal acceleration of the block? Link to image: http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6591/picki0.jpg [Answer: 1.8 m/s2]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Please note that, in order for us to help you, we first need to see some attempt. So, what have you tried for these problems?

cristo said:
Welcome to PF. Please note that, in order for us to help you, we first need to see some attempt. So, what have you tried for these problems?
Argh, I don't really have the time to say, I was in hopes of just putting this up and waking up in the morning to review what people have said and to apply that. (It's almost midnight here and my mother wants me in bed.)

I did try multitudes of ways, even by working the problems backwards. I get all the concepts and everything, but these problems are just a bit vague at the moment. I can't contact my teacher tomorrow since we're off of school and there's no one around me that knows physics. I just found this forum five minutes ago and it looked pretty active, so I decided to ask here.

I hope you understand, thanks and good night. :)

nothing4me said:
Argh, I don't really have the time to say, I was in hopes of just putting this up and waking up in the morning to review what people have said and to apply that. (It's almost midnight here and my mother wants me in bed.)

You don't have time to attempt the problems, but you want someone else to do them for you?

I did try multitudes of ways, even by working the problems backwards. I get all the concepts and everything, but these problems are just a bit vague at the moment.

Ok, so what did you try? I would not advise on "working the problems backwards", since if in future you are not given the answer, you will have no idea how to find it. I'm not sure what you mean by saying the problems are vague: they are not.

Regardless of your situation, we have a blanket policy here that we do not help students that don't show us any work.

cristo said:
You don't have time to attempt the problems, but you want someone else to do them for you?

Ok, so what did you try? I would not advise on "working the problems backwards", since if in future you are not given the answer, you will have no idea how to find it. I'm not sure what you mean by saying the problems are vague: they are not.

Regardless of your situation, we have a blanket policy here that we do not help students that don't show us any work.
I don't know what to show, though. They were multiple choice questions and he said that it doesn't take long to solve it. I just don't understand the process for these specific questions.

Uhhh I have a question about #4
So what I did was find the parallel and perpendicular forces of gravity on the box
But do you add 250sin(27) to 284.2cos(27) To find normal force?
And how do you find kinetic frictional force?? Is it 250cos(27) - 284.2sin(27) ?
o_O

Last edited:
Welcome to Physics Forums.
tacoburgers said:
Uhhh I have a question about #4
So what I did was find the parallel and perpendicular forces of gravity on the box
But do you add 250sin(27) to 284.2cos(27) To find normal force?
Yes.
And how do you find kinetic frictional force?? Is it 250cos(27) - 284.2sin(27) ?
o_O
Also correct, yes.

p.s. Thank you for taking the time to show what you have worked out.

Redbelly98 said:
p.s. Thank you for taking the time to show what you have worked out.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the OP!

gneill said:
Unfortunately, that wasn't the OP!
Yes, understood. The OP is long gone.

Related to Six easy physics problems (I have the answers, just need instructions.)

1. What are the six easy physics problems?

The six easy physics problems are a set of introductory physics problems that cover topics such as motion, forces, energy, and momentum. These problems are commonly used in physics courses to help students understand fundamental concepts.

2. How do I solve these physics problems?

To solve these physics problems, you will need to use basic equations and principles from physics. Start by identifying what information is given in the problem and what you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate equations and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown variable.

3. Can you provide step-by-step instructions for each problem?

Yes, step-by-step instructions for each problem can be found in the accompanying answers. Make sure to read the problem carefully and follow the steps in the correct order to get the correct answer.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge of physics to solve these problems?

Some basic understanding of physics concepts is helpful, but these problems are designed to be introductory and do not require extensive knowledge of physics. As long as you understand the basic principles and equations used in the problems, you should be able to solve them.

5. Can these problems be solved using only the given information?

Yes, these problems can be solved using only the given information. However, you may need to use multiple equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. In some cases, you may also need to make assumptions or simplify the problem to find a solution.