Sister/Best Friend's 1 Day Engagement: Surprising News!

• Thread starter sourlemon
  • Start date
In summary, this person's sister or best friend came home and said they were married and went to city hall to get the paperwork. They would wish the couple good luck and be supportive. If they knew each other for a year or more, they would probably elope. My wife and I eloped without telling anyone and had a reception at our apartment. My wife's family and mine were upset about the secrecy and my dad reused to go to the wedding. Weddings are overrated and irrelevant. It's the marriage that's important.
sourlemon
1 Day "Engagement"

If your sister or best friend came home and said, "I'm married. He asked me yesterday and we went to city hall to got the paperwork." How would you feel?

Note: This person is girly and a house-wife type. And she also wants to know everything about your love life, like who you date, or who you have a crush on.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

sourlemon said:
If your sister or best friend came home and said, "I'm married. He asked me yesterday and we went to city hall to got the paperwork." How would you feel?

Note: This person is girly and a house-wife type. And she also wants to know everything about your love life, like who you date, or who you have a crush on.
I'm assuming it's someone they met yesterday.

I would wish them good luck, knowing that they're going to need it. Chances are they'll soon be parted.

Now, if they'd known each other at least a year and were ready for marriage, nothing wrong with deciding to elope.

I'm pretty sure my wife told her parents/sister that the day after we got married -_-.

My wife and I eloped. We had been together for over 1/2 year, though. Nobody knew we were marrying, except each of our best friends and the JP (another common friend), and we were married in the living room of our apartment. Our friends were very good at keeping the secret. Ditty never told anybody, nor did Bill (who is now dying of liver cancer). The only person who was not wearing jeans and a T-shirt was the JP. She was wearing a suit-skirt combo. Quite overdressed, but she took her job seriously.

My wife's family and mine were really pissed about the secrecy and just had to put on a reception party for us. I didn't like the attention, but that's the way things were. 40 years ago, it was rare for people around here to get married without some kind of formal church service, much less an in-home civil ceremony.

I don't know how I would feel but I'd say "Wow you're crazy".
I've heard Rostropovich (the cellist) asked to marry Galina after they knew each other for 3 days. That was in a documentary on his life and said by his wife in person. They've been married until his death.

Strange, I'm not allow to edit my post.

I'll clarify and say the couple has been together for 5+ years now so people wouldn't think it's so crazy

For me, I don't have a problem with not having a wedding. But if someone important to me is doing something as big as marriage, I would like to be there and celebrate it. Lolz turbo, that's probably how your parents felt.

I don't know. I'm trying to figure out if I'm insane for being upset.

Last edited:

Don't be upset, sourlemon. Grant them their privacy and give them room to operate. Folks need to have freedom to function. I wish I had had cameras back then to record the "ceremony". With my wife and I and our witnesses in the most casual dress you might imagine for February, and with the JP in a suit-skirt we were probably a stitch. Our families rented the local fire-hall for the reception. That wasn't as fun as one might imagine. Older aunts inundated us with stuff that was totally inappropriate for our tiny apartment and modest life-style, like silver-plated chafing dishes. Lawn-sale!

How the couple wishes to marry should be the only thing that matters.

Unless, of course, they want some extravaganza that would put their family in financial trouble.

I got married by a justice of the peace at my first husband's parent's house because his mother insisted on a wedding. Only my mom and my best friend, his parents and brother and sister-in-law where there. My dad reused to go, he said he would never be under the same roof as that "crazy woman", my husband's mother. I had to agree, she was insane and a nightmare.

My second and last marriage, we got married at the courthouse during our lunch hour. No one attended (we didn't tell anyone)

Last edited:

Weddings are overrated and really irrelevant, imo.

It's the marriage that's the important thing.

lisab said:
Weddings are overrated and really irrelevant, imo.

It's the marriage that's the important thing.
Yep. The love and commitment are the important things - no ceremony required for those.

I'd say it depends on how the couple sees themselves relative to the 'group' (whatever group that may be - family, friends, etc). And how they handle their marriage is a statement about that.

Excluding the group from their marriage says they see themselves as something separate from the group, even if they hang around the group. They don't see the group as being an integral part of their lives.

Nothing wrong with that (in fact, I'd consider that healthy, but I've never really been a 'group' type person). But it might be a little disturbing to those that thought the couple were full members of the group; those that saw themselves as an integral part of the couple's lives.

BobG, you really hit the nail on the head there. I thought I was part of their lives.

This actually sprouted from a misunderstanding. We talked it out and we're better now. But I was just wondering if it's normal to be upset in a situation like this. As BobG said, I felt like I was a part of their lives, so when I thought I was excluded, I just felt betray. But you guys are right. It is their marriage. They should marry however they see fit. I should respect their privacy and be happy for them.

fluidistic said:
I've heard Rostropovich (the cellist) asked to marry Galina after they knew each other for 3 days. That was in a documentary on his life and said by his wife in person. They've been married until his death.

Galina passed away yesterday.

sourlemon said:
I was just wondering if it's normal to be upset in a situation like this.
It is "normal" to be hurt by being excluded in something that you consider important.

Now it is your opportunity to show yourself and them that you are better than just "normal" by letting go of being hurt and just being happy for them.

Related to Sister/Best Friend's 1 Day Engagement: Surprising News!

1. What factors can contribute to a surprise engagement?

There are multiple factors that can contribute to a surprise engagement, such as a sudden realization of love, a romantic gesture, or a special event that brings the couple closer together.

2. How does a surprise engagement affect a relationship?

The impact of a surprise engagement on a relationship can vary depending on the couple. Some may view it as a positive and exciting event, bringing them closer together. Others may feel overwhelmed or pressured by the suddenness of the proposal. Communication and understanding between the couple are key in navigating the effects of a surprise engagement on their relationship.

3. Can a surprise engagement lead to a successful marriage?

The success of a marriage is not solely determined by the way the engagement took place. While a surprise engagement can add a unique aspect to a couple's story, it is ultimately the communication, commitment, and compatibility between partners that contribute to a successful marriage.

4. How can one plan a successful surprise engagement?

Planning a surprise engagement requires careful consideration and a good understanding of your partner's preferences. It is important to choose a location and time that is meaningful to both partners and to communicate effectively with any friends or family who may be involved in the surprise. Keeping the element of surprise is key, so it is crucial to be discreet and avoid any potential spoilers.

5. Are surprise engagements becoming more common?

With the rise of social media and the pressure to make grand romantic gestures, surprise engagements may seem more prevalent. However, it is important to remember that every couple is unique and what works for one may not work for another. Surprise engagements have been happening for centuries and will continue to be a part of many couples' love stories.