How Did Sir Patrick Moore Impact Astronomy and Broadcasting?

• Thread starter Jimmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sir
In summary, British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has passed away at the age of 89. He was known for hosting the BBC program The Sky At Night for over 50 years and wrote numerous books on astronomy. His research was also utilized by both the US and Russian space programs.
Jimmy
British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89, his friends and colleagues have said.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939

R.I.P.

Physics news on Phys.org
R.I.P Patrick Moore.

RIP among the stars Patrick Moore.

RIP, indeed. (Was just looking at one of his books in my library the other day.)

Sir Patrick Moore

I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Sir Patrick Moore. He was an incredible astronomer and broadcaster who dedicated his life to sharing his passion for science with the world. His contributions to the field of astronomy were immense, and his work will continue to inspire future generations.

Sir Patrick's impact on the BBC's The Sky At Night for over 50 years is a testament to his dedication and commitment to educating the public about the wonders of the universe. He was truly a pioneer in his field and his research was instrumental in advancing space exploration for both the US and Russia.

His numerous books on astronomy have been a valuable resource for scientists and enthusiasts alike, and his legacy will continue to live on through his writings and the impact he has had on the scientific community.

My thoughts are with Sir Patrick's friends and colleagues during this difficult time. He will be greatly missed, but his contributions to science will always be remembered and celebrated. Rest in peace, Sir Patrick Moore.

Related to How Did Sir Patrick Moore Impact Astronomy and Broadcasting?

What was Sir Patrick Moore known for?

Sir Patrick Moore was best known for being an astronomer, author, and TV presenter. He hosted the BBC show "The Sky at Night" for over 50 years, making him the longest-running presenter of the same television show in history.

What were some of Sir Patrick Moore's achievements?

Sir Patrick Moore was a highly accomplished scientist and astronomer. He discovered a number of new craters on the moon, wrote over 70 books on astronomy and space, and was a leading expert in the study of the planet Mars.

How did Sir Patrick Moore contribute to science?

Sir Patrick Moore made significant contributions to the field of astronomy through his research, writing, and popularizing of the subject. He was also a strong advocate for space exploration and education, inspiring many future scientists and astronomers.

What was Sir Patrick Moore's legacy?

Sir Patrick Moore's legacy is vast and far-reaching. He inspired countless individuals to pursue careers in science and astronomy, and his impact on public understanding of space and the universe is immeasurable. He will be remembered as a pioneer in the field of astronomy and a beloved figure in the scientific community.

How did Sir Patrick Moore die?

Sir Patrick Moore passed away peacefully at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, on December 9th, 2012 at the age of 89. He had been suffering from several health issues in the years leading up to his death, but continued to work and write until the end of his life.

Back