Sir Ian Blair's attempt to damage de Menezes name to be investigated

• News
  • Thread starter El Hombre Invisible
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damage sir
In summary: The Met's shoot-to-kill policy is clearly in breach of human rights, and yet Blair still defends it. This shows how much he cares about the safety of the public and the rule of law. In summary, the home secretary, Charles Clarke, has given approval for an Independent Police Complaints Commission inquiry into the Metropolitan police commissioner. The inquiry will be separate from the IPCC investigation into the fatal shooting of 27-year-old Brazilian electrician Jean Charles de Menezes, who was mistaken for a suicide bomber at Stockwell underground station on July 22, the day after the failed suicide bomb attempts on London's transport network. The inquiry follows an official complaint from the De Menezes family, which alleges that Met officers made false public
El Hombre Invisible
... at long last.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/story/0,16132,1653128,00.html

The home secretary, Charles Clarke, has given approval for an Independent Police Complaints Commission inquiry into the Metropolitan police commissioner. The inquiry will be separate from the IPCC investigation into the fatal shooting of 27-year-old Brazilian electrician Jean Charles de Menezes, who was mistaken for a suicide bomber at Stockwell underground station on July 22, the day after the failed suicide bomb attempts on London's transport network. The inquiry follows an official complaint from the De Menezes family, which alleges that Met officers made false public statements after the shooting.

Vaguely promising. Despite de Menezes' parents remaining as vocal as ever on the murder of their son, things have been quiet on this for a while. Blair & co stood by their story until an IPCC report contradicting pretty much everything they said was leaked to the public.

Having said that, the IPCC investigation into the leaked report was opened on August 26th at the bequest not of the irrate IPCC but the Met. This latest investigation into the discrepancies between Blair's attempted character assassination and the IPCC's findings comes 3 months later.

It seems the home office can prosecute people who have demonstrated the corruption right at the top of the British Police Service with great alacrity, but are highly reticent to pick up their feet in actually aiding the course of justice. I wonder what finally brought Clarke round to his senses.

The investigation will also cover the attempts by Blair to block the ongoing IPCC enquiry into the shooting itself, scheduled to finish around the same time as this new one. The Met unsuccessfully objected to the IPCC's strong criticism of the Met's obstruction - another case of the Met going after the people who've caught them red-handed!

Is this rabid dog going to be put down, or will this go the way of the Butler report and bottle out of bringing the guilty to account?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that if the complaints are upheld criminal prosecutions will follow I'm surprised Ian Blair hasn't been forced to stand down until the investigation is complete. The fact this hasn't happened makes me suspect a coverup in the making.
I saw recently Blair's snipers who shot the guy leaving a pub with a chairleg in a shopping bag were exonerated of any criminal charges just recently which doesn't bode well for the de Menezes family receiving justice.

Art said:
Given that if the complaints are upheld criminal prosecutions will follow I'm surprised Ian Blair hasn't been forced to stand down until the investigation is complete. The fact this hasn't happened makes me suspect a coverup in the making.
I saw recently Blair's snipers who shot the guy leaving a pub with a chairleg in a shopping bag were exonerated of any criminal charges just recently which doesn't bode well for the de Menezes family receiving justice.
I have some faith in the IPCC holding Blair to account. They've publicly criticised Blair already - I see no reason they would kow tow to him now. I am sure the report will find him at fault, but less sure it will form the basis of a criminal charge, and so long as it does not go to the CPS, clearly by Blair's unwillingness to resign despite being caught red-handed, I am not sure anything will come of it. The man is just too arrogant and callous to resign unless he absolutely has to. We're talking about a man who still stands by the shooting of random people for no reason.

Then you have an absurd situation. If Blair is not held to account, the shooter will have to be the scapegoat. But Blair still defends the shooting. So either an officer defended by the police chief is sacked while the police chief himself is defended, which is absurd, or no-one is held to account for what amounts to a random, mindless, trigger-happy slaying, which is also absurd.

The only thing close to justice would be a review of the shoot-to-kill policy itself by the law lords that finds it in breach of human rights, which in its present guise it clearly is. This does not appear to be on the cards.

Even if the IPCC find a criminal offence was committed it is up to the CPS to then decide whether to press charges. Until a decision is made by the CPS, which can take years, the IPCC report will not be made public. If they do eventually decide to prosecute, one wonders how vigourously they will pursue it in court.

My money is on nobody being held to account using the excuse that fighting terrorism allows for extraordinary measures.

Related to Sir Ian Blair's attempt to damage de Menezes name to be investigated

1. What prompted the investigation into Sir Ian Blair's attempt to damage de Menezes' name?

The investigation was prompted by a leaked report from the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) which alleged that Sir Ian Blair, the former Metropolitan Police Commissioner, attempted to smear the name of Jean Charles de Menezes, an innocent Brazilian man who was mistakenly shot by police in 2005.

2. What was Sir Ian Blair's motive for allegedly trying to damage de Menezes' name?

The motive behind Sir Ian Blair's alleged attempt to damage de Menezes' name is still unclear. However, the IPCC report suggests that it may have been an effort to deflect blame and criticism away from the Metropolitan Police for the fatal shooting.

3. How will the investigation into Sir Ian Blair's actions be conducted?

The investigation will be conducted by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), the successor to the IPCC. The IOPC will review all available evidence and conduct interviews with relevant parties in order to determine the truth behind the allegations against Sir Ian Blair.

4. What are the potential consequences if Sir Ian Blair is found guilty of attempting to damage de Menezes' name?

If Sir Ian Blair is found guilty of attempting to damage de Menezes' name, he could potentially face disciplinary action or criminal charges. However, the exact consequences will depend on the outcome of the investigation and the severity of his actions.

5. How does this investigation impact the reputation of the Metropolitan Police?

This investigation raises questions about the integrity and ethics of the Metropolitan Police and its leadership. If the allegations against Sir Ian Blair are proven to be true, it could further damage the public's trust in the police force and its ability to serve and protect the community.