Singularity of spacetime/singularity of the riemanian tensor

In summary: In a nutshell, if the Kretschmann scalar is well behaved, then there is no singularity. However, if the Kretschmann scalar is not well behaved, then a singularity will exist.
Neutrinos02
Hello,

I have a question to the singularities of spacetime (where the metric tensor is infinite, but not the coordinate singularities which can be removed be a change of coordinate)
It's easy to show that a singularity of the riemanian tensor scalar RαβμνRαβμν leads to a singularity of the spacetime. But what about the other way round? Is it possible to proof that each singularity of spacetime is also a singularity of RαβμνRαβμν ?

Thanks for help.
Neutrinos

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrinos02 said:
Hello,

I have a question to the singularities of spacetime (where the metric tensor is infinite, but not the coordinate singularities which can be removed be a change of coordinate)
It's easy to show that a singularity of the riemanian tensor scalar RαβμνRαβμν leads to a singularity of the spacetime. But what about the other way round? Is it possible to proof that each singularity of spacetime is also a singularity of RαβμνRαβμν ?

Thanks for help.
Neutrinos
I'm not 100% sure, but I think so. A true spacetime singularity (a curvature singularity actually) should pop up on the Kretschmann scalar as that point will not be well-behaved (with the geodesic incompleteness and all).

Neutrinos02 said:
This is actually not a correct definition of a singularity. A singularity is defined as geodesic incompleteness, meaning that there are geodesics that can't be extended past a finite affine parameter. It is neither necessary nor sufficient for the metric tensor to have a component that blows up, when expressed in some coordinate system, at some set of coordinates.

Neutrinos02 said:
It's easy to show that a singularity of the riemanian tensor scalar RαβμνRαβμν leads to a singularity of the spacetime.
This is not quite true. A blowup in a curvature scalar only indicates a curvature singularity if it can be reached along a geodesic in a finite affine parameter.

Neutrinos02 said:
But what about the other way round? Is it possible to proof that each singularity of spacetime is also a singularity of RαβμνRαβμν ?

No, this is false. A counterexample would be a non-curvature singularity such as a conical singularity. I'm pretty sure it's also possible to have a curvature singularity in which the Kretschmann invariant doesn't blow up, but I don't know of an example.

We seem to have had multiple discussions and a lot of confusion recently about the definition of singularities in GR. I have a discussion of this in section 6.3.6 of my GR book: http://www.lightandmatter.com/genrel/ .

bcrowell said:
I'm pretty sure it's also possible to have a curvature singularity in which the Kretschmann invariant doesn't blow up, but I don't know of an example.
How would this be possible?

Related to Singularity of spacetime/singularity of the riemanian tensor

What is the singularity of spacetime?

The singularity of spacetime is a point in space and time where the gravitational field becomes infinite. It is often associated with black holes, where the mass is concentrated in a single point, causing a distortion of spacetime.

What is the singularity of the Riemannian tensor?

The singularity of the Riemannian tensor is a point in space where the curvature of spacetime becomes infinite. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of spacetime near black holes and other extreme objects.

How is the singularity of spacetime related to the singularity of the Riemannian tensor?

The singularity of spacetime and the singularity of the Riemannian tensor are closely related. The singularity of spacetime is caused by the extreme curvature of spacetime, which is described by the singularity of the Riemannian tensor. They are both points where our current understanding of physics breaks down.

Can the singularity of spacetime be avoided?

There is currently no known way to avoid the singularity of spacetime. It is a natural consequence of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity works. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose that the singularity may be avoided by considering higher dimensions of space.

What happens at the singularity of spacetime?

At the singularity of spacetime, the laws of physics as we know them break down. The extreme curvature of spacetime makes it impossible to predict what would happen at this point. Some theories suggest that the singularity may lead to the creation of a new universe, while others propose that it may result in the destruction of all matter.