Singularities of a complex function

In summary, the singularities for the function (e-z) / [(z^3) ((z^2) + 1)] are 0, i, and -i. The singularity at 0 is a third order pole, while the singularities at i and -i are first order poles. L'Hospital's rule can be used to determine the order of the poles.
Mattbringssoda

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find and classify all singularities for (e-z) / [(z3) ((z2) + 1)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This is my first attempt at these questions and have only been given very basic examples, but here's my best go:

I see we have singularities at 0 and i.

The 0 corresponds with z3, so upon inspection it's a third order pole.

To determine the order for the i singularity, I multiply the function by (z - i) and use L'Hospital's rule

Lim (z -> i ) of [ (z-i) (e-z) ] / [ (z3) ((z2) + 1) ]

= Lim (z -> i) of [ (z-i) (-e-z) + (e-z) ] / [ (5z4) + 3z2 ]

= (e^-i) / 2

Which is a finite number, and since I used the first order term (1-i), this is indeed a first order pole, according to what I've been taught.

I'm worried that I'm misunderstanding how to use L'Hospital here and was hoping I could get a second set of eyes from someone familiar with these problems.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mattbringssoda said:
I see we have singularities at 0 and i.
You missed one. Remember that (z2+1)=(z+i)(z-i).
Mattbringssoda said:
To determine the order for the i singularity, I multiply the function by (z - i) and use L'Hospital's rule
You should slow down a bit - multiply by (z-i) is correct, but then you have (z-i) in both nominator and denominator...

Writing [itex]\frac{e^{-z}}{z^3(z^2+ 1)}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{e^{-z}}{z^2(z- i)(z+i)}[/itex] it should be immediately obvious that z= 0 is pole of order three and that z= i and z= -i are poles of order one.

Thank you two very much; it all stemmed down to a simple oversight that I wasn't catching from the (z^2 + 1) term. Thanks again!

Related to Singularities of a complex function

1. What is a singularity of a complex function?

A singularity of a complex function is a point where the function is not defined or becomes infinite. It is a point where the function "breaks down" and cannot be evaluated using traditional methods.

2. How can singularities be classified?

Singularities can be classified into three types: removable, essential, and poles. Removable singularities can be "removed" by redefining the function at that point. Essential singularities cannot be removed and are characterized by oscillating behavior. Poles are singularities where the function approaches infinity.

3. How are singularities related to the behavior of a complex function?

Singularities can greatly affect the behavior of a complex function. They can cause discontinuities, non-analytic behavior, and changes in the domain of the function. Understanding the singularities of a complex function is crucial in analyzing its overall behavior.

4. Can singularities be located graphically?

Yes, singularities can be located graphically by plotting the function and looking for points where it becomes undefined or approaches infinity. However, this method may not always be accurate, and it is recommended to use algebraic methods to confirm the presence of a singularity.

5. How can singularities be calculated and analyzed?

Singularities can be calculated and analyzed using various techniques such as Laurent series, residues, and Cauchy's integral theorem. These methods allow for a more precise determination of the type and location of singularities in a complex function.