Singularities in C* of f(z) = \frac{{\pi z - \pi {z^3}}}{{\sin (\pi z)}}

In summary, the singularities in C* of f(z) = \frac{{\pi z - \pi {z^3}}}{{\sin (\pi z)}} are z = n, with n \in Z, n\neq 0, n\neq 1, and z = 0 and z = 1 are removable singularities. The residue at z = 0 is 0, and the residue at infinity is the same as the residue at 0 of f(1/z), which can be found by looking at f(\frac{1}{z}) = \frac{\frac{\pi}{z} - \frac{\pi}{z^3}}{\sin (\frac{\pi}{z
libelec

Homework Statement

Find and classify the singularities in C* of [tex]f(z) = \frac{{\pi z - \pi {z^3}}}{{\sin (\pi z)}}[/tex], and give information about Res(f, 0) and Res(f, infinity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the singularities in C are z = n, with n [tex]\in[/tex] Z, n[tex]\neq[/tex] 0, n[tex]\neq[/tex] 1. These are simple poles, while z=0 and z=1 are removable singularities (therefore, Res(f, 0)=0).

Now, in C*: what I thought is that, since the poles tend to infinity when n tends to infinity, then there is a non-isolated singularity.

But then I don't know how to calculate Res(f, infinity).

Did I think that the right way or what am I missing?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could somebody check this out, please?

Did I write this correctly? Answer please, because I don't know if I'm translating my question properly into English.

No one? Please, I need to know this urgently.

A singularity at infinity of f(z) has the same residue as the singularity at 0 of f(1/z).

Look at
[tex]f(\frac{1}{z}) = \frac{\frac{\pi}{z} - \frac{\pi}{z^3}}{\sin (\frac{\pi}{z})}[/tex]

Thanks. You say the only way to find out is to find the a-1 coefficient (and then multiply by -1)?

Was my assumption that it was a non-isolated singularity correct?

Related to Singularities in C* of f(z) = \frac{{\pi z - \pi {z^3}}}{{\sin (\pi z)}}

What is the concept of "Singularity in the infinity"?

Singularity in the infinity refers to the theoretical concept of a point in time or space where technological progress and advancement becomes so rapid and profound that it becomes impossible for humans to comprehend or predict what will happen next.

When is the Singularity expected to occur?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as it is purely speculative. Some experts predict that the Singularity could occur within the next few decades, while others argue that it may never happen at all.

What are the potential implications of the Singularity?

The potential implications of the Singularity are vast and diverse. Some experts believe that it could lead to incredible advancements in technology, medicine, and human intelligence, while others fear that it could also have negative consequences such as loss of control over advanced technology or disruption of social and economic systems.

Is the Singularity a realistic possibility?

The possibility of the Singularity is a highly debated topic. While some experts believe that the exponential growth of technology and artificial intelligence makes it a realistic possibility, others argue that it is a far-fetched idea and that technological progress will continue at a more gradual pace.

What can we do to prepare for the Singularity?

There is no clear answer to this question, as the Singularity is still a theoretical concept. However, some experts suggest that investing in education and research in fields such as artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, and biotechnology could help us better understand and prepare for the potential impact of the Singularity.