Singularities: Complicated function

In summary, the function f(z) = \frac{{{e^{\frac{1}{{z - 1}}}}}}{{{e^{\frac{1}{z}}} - 1}} has an essential singularity at z=1, a pole of order 1 at z=0, and a simple pole at infinity. To find the residues at these singularities, we can use the Laurent series expansion and the variable change w=1/z.
libelec

Homework Statement

Find all the singularities of [tex]f(z) = \frac{{{e^{\frac{1}{{z - 1}}}}}}{{{e^{\frac{1}{z}}} - 1}}[/tex] in the extended complex field, classify them and find Res(f, 0) and Res(f, infinity)

Homework Equations

Res(f, z0) = a-1 in the Laurent series around that z0

[tex]{e^z} = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{n!}}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It's kind of a difficult function to find singularities from.

First I tried to look at the numerator. I found that 1 is an essential singularity, because the Laurent series of [tex]{{e^{\frac{1}{{z - 1}}}}}[/tex] around 1 is [tex]\sum\limits_{n = o}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n!{{(z - 1)}^n}}}} [/tex], which is a series formed by negative powers of (z-1) only. So the series has infinite negative powers of (z-1)

Then I tried to look at the denominator. I know zero has to be a singularity of some sort, but I can't find a way to classify it or to justify that.

Finally, for the infinity, I make the variable change w = 1/z, then I evaluate [tex]\frac{{{e^{\frac{w}{{1 - w}}}}}}{{{e^w} - 1}}[/tex] when w=0. I find that zero is a simple pole of f(1/w) (because 1/f(1/w) has a simple zero in w=0), then infinity a simple pole of f(z).

How do I find what kind of singularity is z=0?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Nobody?

Related to Singularities: Complicated function

What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in a mathematical function or physical system where the function is undefined or becomes infinite. It is often referred to as a point of divergence or discontinuity.

What causes a singularity to occur?

A singularity can occur due to various factors such as division by zero, taking the logarithm of zero, or approaching an asymptote. It can also arise in physical systems due to the breakdown of classical laws of physics.

How are singularities classified?

Singularities can be classified into several types, including removable, essential, and branch point singularities. A removable singularity can be removed by defining the function at that point. Essential singularities are not removable and result in an infinite value. Branch point singularities occur in complex functions and lead to multivalued functions.

What are some real-world examples of singularities?

Singularities can occur in a variety of physical systems, such as black holes in astrophysics, where the gravitational pull becomes infinite at the center. They can also occur in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

How are singularities studied and analyzed?

Scientists use various mathematical techniques, such as limits, series expansions, and complex analysis, to study and analyze singularities. They also use computer simulations and experiments to understand the behavior of singularities in physical systems.