Single Photon Emission: Examining the Evidence

In summary, there are discussions and videos on the web about the appearance of dots on photo-sensitive surfaces and whether they guarantee only one photon got through. Some experiments have been done with single photons and show a double-slit interference pattern, but it is difficult to get a signal count rate higher than the dark count rate. Some experiments use attenuated lasers or single electrons instead of single photons. While some believe the point of the experiment is to demonstrate interference of a single photon with itself, others argue that this is not possible if there is a "pack" of photons.
ndvcx
On the web are some informed-sounding discussions saying that the various videos showing the appearance of the dots on the photo-sensitive surfaces can by no means guarantee that only one photon got through. A lot hinges on that, thanks for referring me to other posts which show certainty of a one-photon emission...so, packs of photons or just one ?

Science news on Phys.org
They have done it by shooting one photon at a time and they still get a double-slit interference pattern over time . I am not sure what your asking

Which experiments are you talking about? What discussions? What videos? What kind of photosensitive surface?

ndvcx said:
On the web are some informed-sounding discussions saying that the various videos showing the appearance of the dots on the photo-sensitive surfaces can by no means guarantee that only one photon got through. A lot hinges on that, thanks for referring me to other posts which show certainty of a one-photon emission...so, packs of photons or just one ?

Single photons.

Google will give any interested party links to masses of free info on the types of single-photon sources available.

Thx, can't find the page any more, it discussed the details of PMT. Also, there seems to be an admission that they have "background". Will try to post if I find it.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever performed the double slit experiment using single photons. To do that, you would need a single photon source and enlarge spatial coherence such that both slits lie inside its coherence volume. This can be achieved by placing it further away from the slits, which will of course also decrease the signal. As pretty much any detector with single photon sensitivity also has some non-negligible dark count rate, it would be pretty hard to get a signal count rate significantly higher than the dark count rate.

Most experiments claiming single photon interference used attenuated lasers or similar stuff which do not really give you single photons. However, this concept can be demonstrated much easier using single electrons instead of single photons and doing so works quite fine. This has been first demonstrated by Merli in 1974 and in better quality by Tonomura in 1989. See for example the Hitachi website (Tonomura worked for them in 1989) where also a video of these experimental results is shown:http://www.hitachi.com/rd/research/em/doubleslit.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx Cthugha. I've found some detailed experimental setups which describe how the slits are made microscopically tiny, and the attenuation greater and greater "until the (connected) oscilloscope reports only single electrons being dislodged.." or such. I've watched the hitachi video also. Your view (and mine, though mine counts less as non-physicist) is then a minority view, it seems, bec. the point of the experiment as it is generally accepted is to demonstrate interference of a photon with itself, and this is not taking place if there is a "pack"..

Related to Single Photon Emission: Examining the Evidence

1. What is single photon emission?

Single photon emission, also known as single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), is a medical imaging technique that uses a radioactive tracer to produce three-dimensional images of the body. It is used to diagnose and monitor various medical conditions, such as heart disease, brain disorders, and cancer.

2. How does single photon emission work?

During a single photon emission scan, a small amount of a radioactive tracer is injected into the body. The tracer emits gamma rays, which are detected by a special camera. The camera rotates around the body, taking multiple images from different angles. These images are then combined to create a 3D image of the organ or tissue being examined.

3. What are the benefits of using single photon emission?

Single photon emission has several benefits compared to other imaging techniques. It is non-invasive and does not require any incisions or injections. It is also able to provide detailed images of organ function, not just structure. Additionally, it is a relatively quick and painless procedure, and the radiation exposure is minimal.

4. Are there any risks associated with single photon emission?

The risks associated with single photon emission are very low. The amount of radiation exposure is minimal, and the radioactive tracer used has a short half-life, meaning it quickly leaves the body. However, pregnant women and individuals with certain allergies or medical conditions may not be suitable for this procedure.

5. What evidence supports the use of single photon emission?

There is a significant amount of evidence supporting the use of single photon emission in various medical applications. Numerous studies have shown its effectiveness in diagnosing and monitoring a wide range of conditions, and it is widely used in clinical practice. However, as with any medical procedure, it is important to discuss the risks and benefits with a healthcare professional.