Single Phase Inverter Waveform

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement involving a load with inductance and four switches. It is determined that option d) is the correct answer, as the voltage across the load changes from +Vdc/2 to -Vdc/2 when the switches are turned off and the diodes are turned on. It is also mentioned that the load current is sinusoidal and switches polarity at wt=pi, causing the commutating diode pairs to switch and the voltage to change. It is noted that in some cases, the switch voltages may be floating due to discontinuous load or input current.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find the pole voltage waveform Vao.
Relevant Equations
Waveform plotting based on KCL and KVL.
20201108_141805.png

The answer given is d).

Seeing the problem statement, it can be concluded that the load has some inductance, and when the switches S1, S2, S3 and S4 are off, conduction takes place through the anti-parallel body diodes (freewheeling action).

Seeing the triggering pulse waveforms, S1-S4 ON, Vao= +Vdc/2
S1-S4 OFF, D2-D3 ON, Vao = -Vdc/2.
This is only seen in d). So I can eliminate a), b) and c).

But I find d) incorrect as well.
The load current at "wt=pi" is 0 as per the problem statement. This means neither the switches nor the diodes are conducting at wt=pi. So how can Vao jump from -Vdc/2 to +Vdc/2 at wt= pi?
Shouldn't it be floating at some unknown value?

What am I missing here?
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the load current is sinusoidal it is changing polarity when it crosses zero at pi. This will cause the commutating diode pairs to switch, that is why the voltage changes. I suppose at the precise instant the current changes you could argue it's floating, but that's virtually zero duration.

Likes cnh1995
DaveE said:
Since the load current is sinusoidal it is changing polarity when it crosses zero at pi.
Yes, I agree with your reasoning.
Looks like the load is RLC type, and the voltage across C at wt=pi is responsible for diode pair switching.
I believe I was overthinking; it wasn't necessary to know the type of load and its components . Only 'the current is sinuoidal' part is enough to answer this question.

Thanks a lot! I have to stop overthinking.o0)

In SMPS designs where the inductor current is discontinuous (i.e. the energy stored is all used in each cycle), then you do see the switch voltages floating at times. In practice this almost always looks like part of a sinusoidal resonance of parasitic L & C. So your intuition wasn't too far off.

edit: Oops, inductor current is never discontinuous. I should have said load, or input current.

Likes cnh1995

Related to Single Phase Inverter Waveform

What is a single phase inverter waveform?

A single phase inverter waveform is a type of electrical signal that is used in single phase inverters to convert direct current (DC) power into alternating current (AC) power. It is characterized by a smooth, sine wave shape and is commonly used in residential and small commercial applications.

How does a single phase inverter waveform differ from a three phase inverter waveform?

The main difference between a single phase inverter waveform and a three phase inverter waveform is the number of phases. A single phase inverter produces a single, smooth sine wave, while a three phase inverter produces three overlapping sine waves that are offset by 120 degrees. This allows for more efficient and balanced power distribution in larger industrial and commercial applications.

What are the advantages of using a single phase inverter waveform?

One of the main advantages of using a single phase inverter waveform is its simplicity. Single phase inverters are typically smaller, less expensive, and easier to install and maintain compared to three phase inverters. They are also well-suited for powering smaller loads and appliances in residential and small commercial settings.

What are the limitations of a single phase inverter waveform?

One limitation of a single phase inverter waveform is its lower power output compared to a three phase inverter. This makes it less suitable for larger industrial and commercial applications where higher power demands are needed. Additionally, single phase inverters are not as efficient as three phase inverters, which can result in higher energy costs in the long run.

How does the quality of the single phase inverter waveform affect its performance?

The quality of the single phase inverter waveform can greatly impact its performance. A smooth and stable waveform is essential for proper functioning of the inverter and to ensure the safe and efficient operation of connected devices. Any distortions or irregularities in the waveform can lead to equipment damage and power disruptions.