Single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation

In summary, the conversation discusses a single phase full bridge inverter and the waveforms for the current going through each component. The positive and negative cycles are controlled by different thyristors and antiparallel diodes are used for reactive loads. The main concern is the polarity during the moment when the load has its current reversed. The conversation also mentions the use of unusual gate drive signals and suggests searching for a discussion on this topic. Additionally, the conversation suggests sketching the load voltage and mentions avoiding showing how to turn off the thyristors at the end of each pulse.
sandy.bridge
Hey guys. I have been theoretically playing around with a single phase full bridge inverter. What I wanted to do was determine the waveforms for the current going through each of the components (ie. the four diodes and the four thyristors). I assumed all of them were ideal. Since I have no idea how to simulate this, I was hoping someone here could verify if I have the correct logic in regards to my waveforms.

For the positive ON cycles, thyristors Q1 and Q3 are on. For the negative OFF cycles, thyristors Q2 and Q4 are on. The antiparallel diodes are there due to reactive load.

The reason I am unsure of my waveforms is I have only dealt with output cycles that go from positive to negative, then positive to negative, etc. This cycle goes positive positive positive negative negative negative, in regards to its polarity.

Obviously the minimum/maximum values will depend on the values of the circuitry.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20131117_175254.jpg
    20131117_175254.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 456
  • 20131117_175420.jpg
    20131117_175420.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 460
Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks about what I'd expect, except ... :smile:

during the moment when the load has its current reversed.

At that moment things will be a bit more apoplectic than you show, though I'm not sure what to expect, exactly --- you are trying to turn the thyristors on while they have reverse polarity. Are you going to use unusual gate drive signals to handle this?

You are exemplifying a load with significant inductance, perhaps you could have a go at sketching the load voltage, too? :wink:

I'd expect a web search would be turn up a good discussion of this. http://imageshack.us/a/img811/5412/thgooglefriend1.gif

BTW, I notice you adroitly avoided showing how you intend turning off those thyristors at the end of each pulse.

Last edited by a moderator:
"flywheeling" diodes is an apt name

Related to Single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation

What is a single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation?

A single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation is an electronic device used to convert a direct current (DC) input into a sinusoidal alternating current (AC) output. It consists of four switches (usually transistors) arranged in a full-bridge configuration and uses pulse width modulation (PWM) techniques to vary the width of the output pulses, resulting in a smooth AC output waveform.

How does a single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation work?

The inverter works by switching the four transistors on and off in a specific sequence, based on the desired output waveform. The pulse width modulation technique is used to control the on and off times of the switches, which in turn controls the voltage and frequency of the output waveform.

What are the advantages of using a single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation?

One of the main advantages of this type of inverter is its ability to produce a high-quality AC output waveform with minimal distortion. It also offers precise control over the output voltage and frequency, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. Additionally, the full-bridge configuration allows for bidirectional power flow, making it suitable for both grid-tied and off-grid systems.

What are the main applications of a single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation?

This type of inverter is commonly used in renewable energy systems, such as solar and wind power, to convert DC power into AC power for use in homes and businesses. It is also used in motor control applications, uninterruptible power supplies, and other industrial and commercial applications.

Are there any limitations to using a single-phase full-bridge inverter with multiple pulse width modulation?

One limitation of this type of inverter is its complexity, which can make it more expensive and difficult to maintain compared to simpler inverter designs. Additionally, it may produce some harmonic distortion in the output waveform, which can affect the performance of connected devices. Proper design and filtering techniques can help mitigate these limitations.