Single Degree of Freedom Equation of Motion(Newtons Second Law)

In summary: In this case, you would need to find the mass of the rod in order to calculate it's moment of inertia.In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation for the moment of inertia of a rod, but was unclear on the geometry. They attempted to find the mass of the rod, but were having trouble. They eventually figured out the mass of the rod by using examples.
adhwa

Homework Statement

Hello guys. Really need your helps. When I construct an equation(moment about point O), do I have to include the rod's mass also? I've heard that I can neglect the rod's mass due to equilibrium equation. On the other hand, I've also heard that I can only neglect mass if the point of mass is supported. Appreciate if you could show me the equation. Thanks in advance. * For some reason I cannot attached the image.*

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not supplied the geometry.
Is this a mass on the end of a rod, with the pivot at the opposite end of the rod to the mass?

If you suspect you cannot neglect the rods mass, do the calculation both ways and see what difference it makes.

There are two ways to attach an image - you can use the attachment manager, or host the image elsewhere and use the image tags. The attachment manager can be temperamental ... the trick I've found is to submit the post as soon as the attachment is uploaded, then edit the post.

These sorts of problems are not about finding the right equation and then plugging in the numbers, they are about your understanding of the physics of the situation. You can find a lot of equations for moment of inertial in wikipedia as well as notes on how to use them.

The OP had posted the image elsewhere, so I am reposting it here:

[STRIKE]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42534&d=1325989363[/STRIKE]

You may neglect the moment of inertia of the rod if it is significantly smaller than the moment of inertia due to other objects in the system -- in this case, the M.O.I. due to the mass M. Usually, a problem statement will say either (1) the rod has negligible mass, in which case you can neglect it's mass and M.O.I., or (2) provide you with the mass or M.O.I. of the rod, in which case it should be included in the calculations.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: image is in attachment

Attachments

• adhwa_Thread565894_sm.jpg
    adhwa_Thread565894_sm.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Weird, I guess only Mentors and Admins can see images from deleted posts.

A valid image is now attached to my previous Post #3.

Oh I see now - it's a weird mass-on-a-spring ... probably they only care about the lever-arm effect for the rod.

Ive gone through every material that I have. Please correct me if I am wrong. Based on the rod(attached image), we can create and equation (Moment about point O = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]). From my understanding, We can canceled out Moment about point O of rod's mass (mg*l/2) due to mass*acceleration effect on the other side of the equation. Please enlighten me.

Well just write out the sum and see ... assign a mass m to the rod.

(Note: if the problem does not give you a mass for the rod, it is probably negligible.)
To me it looks like your photos contain terms from the rod for each example.

Last edited:

Related to Single Degree of Freedom Equation of Motion(Newtons Second Law)

1. What is the single degree of freedom equation of motion?

The single degree of freedom equation of motion, also known as Newton's Second Law, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force acting on it. It is often written as F=ma, where F is the force applied to the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration.

2. How is the single degree of freedom equation of motion used in scientific research?

The single degree of freedom equation of motion is used in scientific research to understand and predict the motion of objects under the influence of different forces. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics to analyze and design systems and structures.

3. What is the significance of the single degree of freedom equation of motion?

The single degree of freedom equation of motion is significant because it is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and is used to explain the motion of objects in the physical world. It allows scientists to make predictions about how objects will move under different conditions and is essential for understanding the laws of motion.

4. Can the single degree of freedom equation of motion be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the single degree of freedom equation of motion can be applied to real-world situations. It is used to study a wide range of phenomena, from simple projectile motion to the complex movement of objects in space. By applying this equation, scientists can accurately model and predict the behavior of objects in the real world.

5. Are there any limitations to the single degree of freedom equation of motion?

Yes, there are limitations to the single degree of freedom equation of motion. It assumes that the object is a point mass with no rotational motion and that the force acting on the object is constant. In reality, objects have different shapes and sizes, and forces can vary over time, making the equation an oversimplification in some situations.