[spring system] 3 degree of freedom system and its properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a 3 degree of freedom spring system. The equation of motion was calculated and Matlab was used to determine the natural frequencies and mode shapes. The focus was on changing the value of stiffness k12 and its effect on the natural frequencies. It was observed that at low values of k12, the natural frequencies were insensitive to changes, and at large values, the first two natural frequencies leveled off while the third one seemed to approach infinity. The reason for this behavior is not clear, and further understanding is sought.
renvox
Hello, I was given the attached 3 degree of freedom spring system with the purpose of analyzing it.
pK0p9kG.jpg

I came up with the following equation of motion
vr2QWQr.jpg

and then I ran Matlab to calculate the corresponding natural frequencies and mode shapes using eigenvalues and eigenvectors; I was asked to see what happens when value of stiffness k_12 is changed. This is the plot of the value k12 against the natural frequencies.
fdwweRr.jpg

The problem is that I do not know WHY values of natural frequencies are insensitive at low values of k12 and why both the 1st and 2nd natural frequencies are insensitive to changes in k12 when values are large (first two level off and the third one seems to go to infinity).

I assume it has something to do with the equation for force due to a spring between 2 masses but I cannot figure it out. That is why I ask for your help - thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello renvox! :smile:
renvox said:
… I do not know WHY values of natural frequencies are insensitive at low values of k12

if k12 is a weedy little thing, why should changing it make any noticeable difference? :confused:
… and why both the 1st and 2nd natural frequencies are insensitive to changes in k12 when values are large (first two level off and the third one seems to go to infinity).

what are the three eigenvectors (the three modes of oscillation)? :wink:

Related to [spring system] 3 degree of freedom system and its properties

1. What is a 3 degree of freedom system in the context of spring systems?

A 3 degree of freedom system is a mathematical model used to describe the dynamics of a physical system that has three independent variables or parameters. In the context of spring systems, this refers to a system that has three springs connected in series or parallel, each with its own stiffness or restoring force.

2. How is the natural frequency of a 3 degree of freedom system calculated?

The natural frequency of a 3 degree of freedom system can be calculated using the formula:
f = 1/2π * √(k/m)
Where k is the combined stiffness of the springs and m is the mass of the system.

3. What are the properties of a 3 degree of freedom system?

Some key properties of a 3 degree of freedom system include its natural frequency, which determines how fast the system will oscillate when disturbed, and its damping ratio, which affects the rate of decay of the system's oscillations. Additionally, the relative stiffness and mass distribution of the three springs can greatly affect the behavior of the system.

4. How does the number of degrees of freedom affect the complexity of a spring system?

The number of degrees of freedom in a spring system directly affects its complexity. As the number of degrees of freedom increases, the system becomes more difficult to model and analyze. A 3 degree of freedom system is relatively simple compared to higher degree systems, but still requires advanced mathematical techniques to fully understand its behavior.

5. Can a 3 degree of freedom system exhibit different types of motion?

Yes, a 3 degree of freedom system can exhibit different types of motion, such as simple harmonic motion, where the system oscillates back and forth at a constant frequency, or more complex motions such as chaotic or irregular oscillations. The type of motion exhibited depends on the initial conditions and properties of the system.